The Joe McDonagh Cup incorporating Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and whoever else

Antrim were very unlucky against Galway in the 1st round of the league in Salthill.

I know that last year Antrim were in the Christy Ring and Meath weren’t; but Antrim do have a good core group of players there and were probably underchieving.

They ended up getting relegated in the League this year, but were playing at a level above Meath and were competitive. Beat Offaly, only lost by 3 to Galway and 1 to Dublin whereas Meath were only middling in 2A. Now you’d probably have expected it to be a bit closer, but Antrim would be fancying themselves to get out of this group.

Westmeath laying down a marker against Laois though; they’ve been decent in Championship in recent seasons and had a couple of alright underage teams… but Laois did well to stay up in 1B this year. Still possibly recovering from losing a lot of players a couple of years ago.

Me bad it was 2016 they met in the final . very controversial game .

Carlow v Kerry today .

Haven’t seen Kerry at all this year but if they line out as named then two of their best forwards Collins and Nolan are playing centre back and midfield and the other midfielder is normally a half forward as well. Strange team IMO. Poor enough full back line as well.
Carlow beat them by seven in the league in Tralee, would expect similar with the game in Carlow

Buff coming into his own today. Carlow just made an absolute bollox of a goal chance. Ten yards out straight in front of the goals and no one around him and he handpassed it off to a lad in a way worse position

Carlow win by three, they were level with normal time up

Meaths holy grail was winning the Christy Ring in 16. A good few lads have retired or went to football since then. Also a few of the backroom team have moved on. Glass ceiling and all that. Kildare are much better bet of being competitive in Leinster in the long term

Buff comes into his own days like today.

The Sunday is hardly back tonight*.

I would be a chance to highlight weaker counties in both codes.

• I’m out of the country atm

Ah lads :laughing: :laughing:

London manager Fergus McMahon is hoping that they can get all their travel plans spot on for Saturday’s Christy Ring Cup opener against Derry at Ballinascreen.

Throw in for the game is 1pm and the London squad will fly into Dublin this evening (Friday) before travelling to their hotel in Dundalk where they will stay over night before making the journey north on Saturday morning.

Having played all their NHL 2A matches at home this year, McMahon admitted that they are not used to travelling and it was key to get everything spot on in their preparations.

“We haven’t been used to travelling at all. All our league games were in Ruislip,” said McMahon. "The logistics are tough and it will be hard to travel up there, at least an hour and half on the bus, from wherever we stay in the hotel in Dundalk.

“It’s going to be a tough, tough ask for our lads. Derry probably under-performed in the league and they’ll know that. They will be looking for a response against us.”

Good win for Antrim against Carlow. Didn’t know that Marty Kavanagh was gone for Carlow.

4 red cards, 3 for Carlow and 3 Antrim players ended up in hospital.

Yes . I see today Kildare game Antrim minors a trimming today

https://twitter.com/cahairokane1/status/995399916141858823?s=21

:eek:

Carlow lad went for the ball(s).

The John Mullane special

Carlow can be filthy as fuck. That sounds like a dinger of a game though

Played the ball

Has there been any mention of Kerry beating Laois?

Surely a bit of a shock? By 10 points aswell.

1 Like

Kelly out.

I hope there wasn’t a rusty band on the hurley.