The Joe McDonagh Cup incorporating Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and whoever else

Moyvane I think it was which is not too far away, not hurling territory

Serious restrictions on whoā€™s allowed in on matchday now, potentially didnā€™t make the cut?

He was listed as a ā€œroghnoirā€ today in the online match programme Julio

Anyways , the main things is Kerry are in the final, Antrim are a bit better than us but you would never know.

Antrim are 27 points better off than Carlow going into the last game. So Antrim need to lose to Meath and Carlow beat Westmeath with a swing of 28 points in scoring difference. Should be a Kerry Antrim final.

Zero chance of Antrim losing to Meath youā€™d think

Meath only lost by a point to Carlow I think. Carlow donā€™t seem to be quite as good this year. They were very impressive in the Joe McDonagh in 2018.

Those teams seem to go in cycles. Kerry were good for a few years then went poor seem to be on an upward trend again, Kildare were good for a while before dropping away, Westmeath looked like making a breakthrough a few years back etc. Antrim seem to be going well at the minute. They just hit a limit of what they can do. The players lose interest and it just falls away. Impossible to keep it going really.
You see it in Laois missing a load of lads this year after a big breakthrough last year. Instead of kicking on you are trying to tread water.
The five Joe Mac teams should be getting serious dough from Croke Park to try and kick them up a level.

2 Likes

Yeah Carlow would have less hurling clubs than football so always fighting an uphill battle. They have a couple of outstanding forwards at the minute. Good to see Antrim making a bit of progress again.

Antrim could possibly have enough to get back to the top table.

True Julio

Kerry need to get hurling stronger in Tralee and Killarney town. Not easy with football, soccer, basketball all established there

Still Tralee Parnells is a vibrant under age set up and progressing at adult, Dr Crokes has plenty of hurling activity so you would never know, the kerry under 20 and minor hurling teams was well filled this year with players from Tralee, Killarney, Kenmare and Kilgarvan

1 Like

Tralee might be the easiest of them to make work. Itā€™s tough for the lads in Kilgarvan etc being so far from all the rest of the teams.

There was a tradition of hurling in Tralee that was left fall away

Austin Stacks often had good hurling teams in times past

I think Parnells will survive and thrive.

They are dependent on the county board for a pitch and need their own pitch in the long run

It a project the GAA should be pushing on, in fairness I think they got good help a few years back when they set up

Thereā€™s nothing in Kerry GAA if they win the Joe Mc and go anywhere other than Munster

from what I have seen , Antrim are stronger than Kerry at the moment and will win the Joe McDonagh but you would never know the day of the final. I think Antrim may well be as good as Laois and would rattle Dublin.

There is plenty in Kerry GAA. Kerry competed in the Munster minor and under 20 hurling competitions in 2020 and are in the final of the Joe McDonagh cup. this easy be knocking them saying they are at nothing if this and that ā€¦

2 Likes

If kerry win will they have a six team munster? Or relegate the team who was knocked out of the AI at earliest stageā€¦ cark.
Or will they play leinster again

Kerry are Munster. Itā€™s their right to play in it if they qualify.

pre COVID , it was a play off v the bottom team in Munster round robin

but there is some talk now of a change of approach by the GAA and it could be Leinster

how that works I just dont know

Gutless

1 Like

I assume the round Robin wonā€™t go ahead next year. Maybe 2022. Unless they play in the knock out and allowed into 2022 round Robin (if its kept) 6 in both provinces may be a runner

I just dont know , but I believe it is Leinster for us if we win, there was some headline the other day on it , I think it came up as part of the re-jig arising from COVID

Aside from myboyblue not approving of it, I expect Kerry will be welcomed in Leinster

As stated earlier , I fancy Antrim so it may not arise. Shane Conway could light up Croke Park so you would never know

1 Like