The Joe McDonagh Cup incorporating Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and whoever else

He’s some dose to listen to. Belongs on a jarvey not in a commentary box. What’s the story with that generation of RTE broadcasters massively over-pronouncing any Irish they have? Ger Canning does it as well.

1 Like

I was very surprised to read a snippet of Marty’s book where it became apparent that he was a very good coach in his youth. Was it Spanish Point he coached to a Munster schools football title?

Black card was correct by the letter of the law. It was careless use of the hurley whilst a goalscoring opportunity was on. Stack remains a moron with no feel for the game, however.

Never heard that but if it’s true it probably would have been Spanish Point.

He also claimed to have had trials with the Clare hurlers and that he was flying until Sylvie Linnane cut him in two.

100% black card the none free was a bad miss. Kerry will rue the 2 frees

And both missed by the man who scored a cracking goal at the death. Hard on him.

1 Like

I think he coached Paul Mescal’s father during that time. Yeah I red that piece alright. Unusual when he was hurling Junior B or C. He was sub goalkeeper on the Clare football panel for a good while too.

I cannot in my wildest imagination imagine Marty Morrissey being a decent sportsman but he obviously was

It was actually a nasty enough strike, right down his hand, no attempt to play the ball. Don’t think he can complain as it probably did stop McManus getting a proper pass away for a goal.

He wrote a column 30 or so years ago that one time Clare won a Munster football title about turning up for the first training session for football in UCC and the coach asking him where he was from and when he said Clare your man basically rolled his eyes. He was a goalkeeper.

The UCC lads wouldn’t be rolling their eyes these days so they wouldn’t. Clare would probably beat Cork on current form.

So, not a sportsman then

Antrim were God awful in the 2nd half. Couldn’t win any ball, either clean or breaking. But yet they kept lorrying long ball up At the back they were exposed one on one. Will be in big trouble vs Cork next week.

Thought the Kerry lad pulled across Macmanus outside the box when ref gave peno…Kerry had some lovely moves for scores in second half …

It doesn’t have to be inside the SQUARE (box is a soccerism), it’s the rule that was brought in a few years ago, a foul that denies a clear goal scoring opportunity is a black card and penalty

2 Likes

Informative … I was wondering why I was only one making the point ! Is this the rule where the Clare lad fouled the tipp lad on the sideline a few years ago ?

Correct, a good rule but very open to interpretation

1 Like

Curse a fuck on it

Carlow dished Kildare some walloping

The revolution has been put down