The Lazy Laz and Uncle Esteban 5k challenge

Nothing wrong with that. You got out and did a bit. That’s better than nothing.

3 Likes

Can you set intervals on a vivosport? I have one but have only used it for very basics

I dont know.

What do you mean by a garmin?

Garmin watch.

For transparency, 1000 euro gone to Down Syndrome Ireland in Cork earlier today. @Locke was present at the virtual presentation on our behalf. Request has gone in for the gift matching which will happen in the next few weeks.

@RaymondCrotty is currently exploring passage ways through Dutch and Caribbean bank accounts to get the other money to Cambodia so will update when that’s done.

21 Likes

Revolut ta fuck Crotty

I can verify what @Mac has said above :+1:

3 Likes

The two of ye in cahoots

TFK! TFK! TFK!

2 Likes

Did 6 x 400 myself earlier, I’m doing 400m at slow pace as a rest so I’m getting 2 - 2:30 min rests. Legs still heavy after a weights session on Tuesday, so I wasn’t pushing it - 4 decent runs in the 3:45 - 3:55 range, a slow one at the end at 4:06 when I was spent, and a mystifying 4:07 in the middle that may have been a quirk of the watch.

Need to get some proper sprints & shuttles this weekend, hoping to get back playing a bit of ball next week.

3 Likes

That’s good going with the double buggy.

I was reading up @fenwaypark and then others online about tempo runs and have gotten totally confused.

For the last 3 weeks I’ve gone on a 7k tempo runs.

I do the 1st k slowish at about 4.45, I then do 2k fast at about 4.10. Another slowish one, a fast 2k and then a final slowish one.

I just want to know off the experts is this beneficial or what way I should be doing it.

Don’t worry chief. You’ve a new baby in the home, and I can only imagine that you’re a good fella around the place for helping out your life partner. It’s great that you’re getting out and doing a few km when you can.

I know you’ll do a sub-25 minute 5km in 2020, and when you do, your pals here on the forum will all be very pleased for you.
Best wishes

1 Like

That - and I’m not very sure myself - doesn’t sound like a tempo, but more a fartlek run

A tempo would be going out around that 4.45 or whatever pace and holding it roughly the whole way around (i.e. not much variance in your splits)
@fenwaypark @Wexford1996 @Tassotti - the lads who know what they’re talking about will discuss whether or not I have this arseways

1 Like

Sounds like a very good speed session, it wouldn’t be what I’d call a tempo but there is no definition of tempo, it’s not like ‘defund’

It means different things to different people, for me a tempo is either a short run (6-10k) at about half marathon pace or a middling long run 12-18k at about marathon pace

Like my tempo this morning, 16k at 4-58 pace

There are tempo runs eg 25 mins at 10k pace, 60 mins at marathon pace etc. There are also tempo intervals e.g 5 x 5mins, 3× 8mins, 5 x 1 mile.

I rotate these each week. It works on your speed endurance.

You have intervals such as 12×400m, 16× 200m, 12 x 1 mins etc. These work on speed.

2 Likes

Went up Cruagh through Massey’s tonight, nice trails up there.

1 Like

@Fat_Pox
https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/training/tempo-running-explained/

1 Like

What do you think i should be aiming to do over the weekend?
Sat - 5km hard
Mon - 10km 5min /km pace
Thurs - 8 x 400m intervals
Saturday - ?