The Let Kev at your Back thread

No. You may be adjusting position alright due to that fact but thats just something that in a way is doing a favour for you by highlighting another issue.

Also the recliner being better would suggest you gave an issue with posterior extension.

Again i would say sedentary lifestyle most likely issue.

2 Likes

You are stressed. Is everything ok?

It could be that, yes.

I had the exact same problem 5 or 6 years ago. Same pain, and same way of getting relief (thatā€™s how I knew to go straight to the recliner last night). Last time it bothered me for 2/3 weeks before just going away.

I would have all the usual classic problems associated with sitting all day. Tight hips, posture etc, and now that Iā€™m not training everything is probably getting even tighter.

Iā€™m something similar at the moment. Had awful lower back/glute pain. Working on it with the physio over the last couple of weeks and with various exercises - bridges, clams, supermans etc - has definitely loosened it out.

Iā€™ve hamstring tedinopathy too (which has reduced the amount of running/training I do and therefore prob contributed to the glute/back tightness) which seems like itā€™s going to be a right hassle to sort out. Physio did a bit of dry-needling on it the other day which was very sore at the time but def seems to have brought some relief.

Needling should nott be sore.

Physios do a weekend course in dry needling.

Its a joke. Stay away. Go to a S&C Coach

Exercise and constant getting up off seat is critical.

Physio not worth a fuck

I know the physio and Iā€™d be fairly happy with him.

His main thoughts were exercise, strengthening, getting out of the desk etc as the way to resolve too.

Iā€™ve had dry needling done before so I know the drill. As I said this time def had pain but definitely improved things immediately in the hamstring.

What strengthening?

Or did you have to go back for another visit for that?

Have you ever had dry needling done by an actual acupuncturist?

Physios are just bastatdising it so they do not have to recognise Acupuncture. Its a sham. And hurting in it oroves a lack of skill

Gave a range of exercises to work on (about 5-6), as I said things like bridges, supermanā€™s, clams etc. Also gave me an exercise band for isometric exercises. Recommended staying away from running but to replace with rowing or cycling. Said stay away from heavy stretching for the moment. Told me to go away and work on those and then come back in in about 2 weeks.

As I said about the dry-needling - in this instance it provided immediate relief.

Stay away from running short term is it?

The short term intervention of the beedling needs to be made use of. So get strengthening asap or you lose the window.

I assume by superman he means bird dog?

There is extensive research done bow on low back pain and stabilizing the spine is critical.

You have to view it like this though, the stability work (thats what he has given you) is the bridge from sedentary lifestyle to training. So as long as you sit at desks, you will need this.

Do not view it as a cure.

1 Like

It could have originated in your neck maybe. Do you spend a lot of time looking up?

6 Likes

Yeah - that makes sense. If I can get the hamstring back working that will enable a lot more movement each week (running, training, sports) etc which will help with the sitting-down part of life

Hamstrings can often be the symptom of a hip flexor problem.

Hip flexor flexibility may be important too

1 Like

dry needling is nothing more than witch doctoring, its a pure cod

1 Like

Deadlifting is where itā€™s at.

I love it. Classic tfk. Back problems. Hip flexors. Hamstrings. Mobility. Itā€™s like the old days.

@TreatyStones it is over prescribed but in this case have you tried lying on your back over edge of the bed and sticking your thumb up your hole

6 Likes

A very juvenile & unhelpful post which deserves an apology imo.

Lads, for any problem from head to toe, call down to Danny Oā€™Neill in Myshall, Co Carlow. Donā€™t be wasting yeā€™re time and money with those medically qualified wasters.

1 Like

Had some recent issues with sciatica but am glad to report that Iā€™m on the mend.

I will be increasing my strength training over the winter as per the instructions of my Physical therapist. She recommends some dead lifts and a return to my old favourite TRX. She thinks adding these more regularly to my training schedule will sort my problems and avoid me having to go back into her.

Wahey!!