The marriage difficulties and auld GAA lads from Craobh thread

Bookies byrnes is gone a lad Christy Barry got pumped 12 times in the betting shop and it lost an awful amount of custom due to the shooting

Ah. I heard about that but thought it happened in the the Powers beside beechcomberā€¦

No it happened in the bookies on killester avenue.

Would you have had a pint in any other bars around the area.

The sheds

Rubby man was he?

2 Likes

Never had a pint in the sheds.
If I was down that way would of having a few scoops in the yacht

Popped into the craobh the odd timeā€¦ Kavanaghs further down was a grand spotā€¦ Was in the A1 the other side of roundabout few times , didnā€™t like itā€¦ Hated the goblet. Kitty kiernans tooā€¦ Pebble beach and the sheds were grand.

Would not be a fan of the craobh myself.

Shower of bastards that run it.

Every club has a few wankers running itā€¦ Good folk there too. I remember the craobh manager of team i used to play against was an absolute gent. Small slight baldy man, lar or Larry maybe his name at a guess.a real dub. Terrible nice man.

What age group would it have been

U14 to 16 in mid 90s

I ended up in there one night, loaded drunk. Got eyed up by a table of dodgy looking fuckers when we went in. When I went to jacks two of them followed me in and quizzed me, they reckoned I was an undercover cop.

1 Like

Youā€™re lucky they took the time to question you. :joy:

1 Like

They knew you werenā€™t a cop. They were making sure you werenā€™t a rat

I know. We had watched a match somewhere down towards Clontarf and made our way back to Beaumont. I was in that beachcomer the same night, a shit hole. Ended the night in a 21st in whatever pub is now where the stardust was.

What a bizarre days drinking.

The caretaker in Craobh is a Laois man called Mick Maher. Heā€™s close to 80 at this stage. 30 years coaching hurling, Cuts the grass, washes the floors, negotiates with the travellers in the next field, does a fair bit of social work, stewards in croke park and smiles a lot. A diamond of a man. @myboyblue would you happen to know him?

9 Likes

That was.my age group back then.

Could of been stephen Norton???

What division would it have been and I hope Iā€™m not encroaching but what club were you with

Mick would be a very close friend of the family.
He lives above in artane

He also fixes hurles and supplies them.

Probably the best man who ever graced the club.

1 Like

One of the best men Iā€™ve ever had the pleasure of knowing.

1 Like

Hes a legend him and Jim arthurs

1 Like