The official Roman Catholic thread

Incorrect, Dawkins is an excellent evolutionary scientist but a dreadful philosopher and ignorant on religious matters.
Bart Ehrman is one of the most respected scholars of religious studies on the planet, how much of his work have you read?

His work! Heā€™s in the selling books business. If he proved the moon landings were a hoax Iā€™d be happy. Impossible to prove anything 2000 years ago. And respected amongst who?

Iā€™ve a feeling youā€™re in over your head mate, and I say that in the full knowledge that I havenā€™t a notion about the topic, @anon7035031 will chew you up and spit you out while the pretend Catholics are only sniggering.

Christmas Day. On the one hand theyā€™re saying Happy Christmas to their loved ones and on the other itā€™s battling out online over the existence of said Christ.

4 Likes

Heā€™s an academic, academics write books. Heā€™s respected by his fellow scholars and students of religion, whether they agree with him or not, or are religious themselves or not.

You are the one making the claim about a person that supposedly lived 2,000 years ago, so the burden is on you to provide evidence. Historical evidence can most certainly prove things (logically), although it cannot prove everything. We can say with reasonable certainty that the Roman emperor of the time Tiberius existed as there are many records about his life from contemporary writers. The problem with the Jesus story is there is essentially no historical evidence, and nothing at all from contemporary writers at the time.

I agree though that historians writing today see things from their subjective lens, and Ehrman could indeed be wrong. Itā€™s not like he has no experience of the topic though, he was a devout Christian for much of his life.

Top top TFK posters have no problem keeping multiple balls in the air mate.

1 Like

Stick to the NFL thread lads fuck sake :joy:

1 Like

Kickoff in 30 min :grinning:

1 Like
1 Like

Donald Trump, the man who saved Christmas

We went last night as we always do - to the same spot in the Church, where thereā€™s a wheelchair space for Herself and a seat for misĆ©. No seat (15 mins to the off). The vast majority of the gathering hadnā€™t or wont be seen for 12 months more.
Itā€™s been customary that I sit week in/week out beside her,in that location, but last night I had to stand beside a pillar and hand her her beads/offerings for collection.
I was fucking fuming that the Church was packed with ā€œFine Day Catholicsā€ and their potential ā€œHoly Communicantā€ childrenā€¦

Pretend Catholics sicken my hole.

12 Likes

Sure there were 2 PC fellas discussing the Connaught Ulster game as the priest converted water to wine at our Christmas mass. Sickening disrespect.

*pretend catholic

4 Likes

Wtf?

Discussing a Protestant sport in a chapel?

3 Likes

Heathen bastards mate. My blood boiled.

1 Like

I empathize

You should have sushed them for the conversion

11 Likes

FAO @gilgamboa

Fr Paddy is a great sort

2 Likes

Mate, this is the second time youā€™ve slipped this one in of late. Does something particularly miraculous occur at Kinvara parish church that we should know about? Or is KP a PC?

1 Like

Are you sure about Ehrman, @anon7035031?
I think he argues for the historical Jesus here ā€¦

1 Like