The official Roman Catholic thread

You are correct, Ehrman is not a mythicist and believes that Jesus existed as a person but argues that the gospel accounts of his life are based on myth. He is an agnostic atheist so doesn’t believe in God, let alone that Jesus was God. The historicity he questions is the accounts in the gospels and the majority of the New Testament.

It begs the question though, what difference does it make? If you don’t believe the gospels are true but are based on myth, what difference does it make that a Jesus existed or not, or whether he was one Jewish preacher that was crucified by the Romans or perhaps an amalgamation of various Jewish preachers who were crucified by the Romans. The evidence suggest he may have existed but the accounts in the gospels were made up long after his death, based on earlier myths.

Ehrman has admitted that you cannot teach Religious Studies at a major university in the US and deny that Jesus existed as a person, which is interesting.

An agnostic atheist. Be the hokey.

An agnostic atheist is someone who doesn’t believe in God, but doesn’t claim to know whether God exists or not. A gnostic or positive atheist claims to know God does not exist.

The latter position seems to me as irrational as a fundamentalist religious position.

Lovely stuff.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/irish-priest-living-florida-wins-14092846?ICID=FB_DublinLive_Main

An Irish priest living in Florida has won a whopping €500,000 in the EuroMillions Plus draw while home for Christmas.

The retired cleric, whose home from the US on holidays, bought the winning quick pick ticket in Donnybrook Fair in Malahide.

The lucky priest joked that God must be listening to his prayers - because this is not his first lottery win.

He revealed he at one time won ÂŁ15,000 Irish pounds on the old Irish Sweepstakes (which was replaced by the National Lottery 30 years ago).

The blessed cleric also won amounts of $3,000 and $5,000 over the years in lotteries in the States.

1 Like

The money can rest in his account with no questions asked

“…who’s home…”

You’ve some nerve posting on this thread after your antics yesterday.

1 Like

:fearful:

I’ll take a PM mate

And I’m just after hearing a startling story about your family. Your mother-in-law couldn’t keep her trap shut at my mother’s house. :eek:

My landed gentry background is suddenly the most republican of all.

3 Likes

Which one?

3 Likes

He must have got the extended package

2 Likes

:fearful::fearful:

Fr. Paddy puts it better than I could

1 Like

Fr Paddy is a great bit of stuff. His children’s mass at Christmas was inspirational.

1 Like

I renewed my baptismal vows this evening guys

10 Likes

Did you cry much when he fucked the jugeen of cold water over your sparsely forested head?

3 Likes

Isn’t that normally done at Easter? Or was it a diy job?

Any excuse to shit in your pants again.

No handshakes at the sign of peace until the flu epidemic passes.

1 Like