The Official TFK 2023 Fun Running Thread

Why do you have them on a bedspread from the 1920’s?

Think I will, course seems interesting. Let’s hope the going is good to firm.

I plan to do it. @Wexford1996 might be there too if he’s following the same schedule as last year. If @Rocko gets the finger out and gets the TFK singlets sorted we could enter a team :rofl:

1 Like

And the floor!!!

Ooooffffftttt

@Loko_Cove this year’s national half marathon is in Tullamore on last Saturday in August. Really well run event by great club. 9 weeks from tomorrow.
I ended up walking last year so am determined to do it better this time.

How about a simple wristband @caulifloweredneanderthal

1 Like

Let’s do it.

Why the edit?!

I’m not sure yet. I’ll either do Rathoath or Tullamore. Think Tullamore is the national half this year. It’s late August. I’m not doing Dublin marathon this year. Been struggling with chest infection last few weeks and on antibiotics so hopefully I haven’t lost too much fitness as was flying before that. I’m doing Kilcock 5k next Friday. What’s next for you?

2 Likes

Ah, I’m not one for the cheap likes pal

1 Like

What’s the route in Tullamore like?

Starting a bank of training towards DCM now. Probably do the Oylegate half and Ratoath / Tullamore along the way.

1 Like

Lovely morning for it lads.

Experienced marathoners here: is it advisable to do a race road half marathon as part of your marathon training plan? And if so, should you be holding back doing it at marathon pace (MP) or should you be going all out?

No major hills or anything but a bit undulating. Fairly middle of the road. Not too hard but not too simple. You’d probably want to aim to run a negative split

1 Like

It might come a few weeks too soon for me and it’s an extra 45 mins spin from home which is a big difference at that time of morning. I’d say I’ll head for Ratoath

That’s a very big ask and I would advise against it. Even running a marathon at a very easy pace takes a good 4 weeks to recover. You are asking for an injury. The common advise is that your long run should not be longer than 3 hours. Within that you could run 12-14 miles at planned marathon pace about 5 weeks out as part of last big session. @Wexford1996 would be a good man to ask.

I was considering doing Dublin myself in prep for Valencia but think it’s probably not worth the risk. I did Berlin 6 weeks before Dublin in 2018 and resulted in my best result in Dublin. Might try and pick up a number closer to the time and just run as far as Terenure at a bit slower than marathon pace. It’s a tough one as everyone’s recovery is different. Getting up to 22 or 23 miles is probably plenty. How’s your running going?

1 Like

I’m not too sure but will enquire and get back to you.

Ah I noticed I made an error in my original post!

Meant to say doing a road half marathon race!!

Did you mean a half? I think it would probably give you a good indication of your fitness and help you set a target time for the marathon. Our club coach would be against it as thinks it interrupts your training and takes a week or 2 to recover. I did Rathoath last year pre Dublin and got a PB but then had a disaster in the marathon so he might be right.

1 Like