The Official TFK 2023 Fun Running Thread

I haven’t. I’m not in the country at the moment as the TFK Strava crew will know but on my return I’m gonna head to The Sports Room in Wicklow to chat it out with them. Have sought advice from multiple sources and there’s no clear winner yet.

I did at least confirm that when ‘support’ is mentioned it means what’s under your sole directly. So for me using them would likely mean going up half a size and getting some form of insole. I did this with my Hoke trail runners and it worked just fine.

I still believe in the theory of don’t fix what isn’t broken and it’s only my own overactive mind that has me thinking I need the change. In reality it likely won’t make any difference at all!

1 Like

If your shoes are working, stick with them. What suits one person doesn’t necessarily suit another.

I’ve two road shoes I’m alternating and can’t really figure out which one I’ll end up using for the marathon.

1 Like

Have you tried wearing both of them together??

Badumph…

1 Like

The article @Raylan just posted doesn’t really think there’s much benefit to the carbon plate runners, unless you’re elite level.

I mentioned here before but the big difference I found in a pair of Saucony Speeds was the weight. They’re way lighter than ASICS Kayano which I used for daily training. I think weight has to make a difference over a long distance

Yeah I use the Saucony Endorphin Speed if I’m racing or doing a session with some speed element to it. Then one of the Saucony support shoes like the Guide or Omni for the easy/recovery/long slow runs. Definitely notice the difference in them alright. Just curious as to whether a carbon plated yoke like Nike Vaporflys or something would propel my fat arse that bit quicker again.

1 Like

Hoka One One for me. Great runners

I thought you had Endorphin pro?

If anybody is chasing about a minute over 10k and you’re already say sub50 then the carbon will work for you

2 Likes

I think you’re right actually:

Pro - Races
Speed - Sessions
Guide/Omni - Easy/Recovery/LSR

Are the pro carbon plated? I’ve had carbon plated all along? :joy:

Yeah the Pro’s are carbon plated. I think what @backinatracksuit suggests is right in that the benefit from Carbon prob only starts from paces of 5min/k or quicker.

I’ve bought a pair of the Endorphin Pro’s off the back of loving the Speeds. Bought them for the marathon and some of the lead in races. I haven’t given them a run out yet.

You’re mixing neutral and stability shoes there. Is that wise? I genuinely don’t know the answer for that. But if you don’t over pronate, why use the stability shoes?

1 Like

I think it’s 95% a cod

I’ve been told I overpronate, wore stability shoes for a while but changed to neutral about 4 years ago and I’ve never had an injury despite putting up decent mileage

If you want to run fast wear light shoes, the carbon will give you an extra few seconds per mile as well

If your primary goal is to avoid injury (I know many people are prone to injury) then get yourself as much support as you can, under and over your foot,

2 Likes

Yeah I over-pronate as verified by gait analysis (twice). As I understand it, it’s grand then to mainly use the support shoes with the other ones on the odd occasion.

1 Like

I’ve read and read around shoes. Most of the articles are based on “research” studies which are poorly powered, skewed, and of absolutely no rigour.
Short answer is, wear whatever is comfortable.
I wear Hoka, having tried everything.

1 Like

That’s my primary goal. Hoka feel.like they give me a softer landing than others, though I’ve not tried the latest generation of anything else.
Trouble is, there’s about 20 different hokas out there now, and I can never remember what I bought.

It usually has the name of it on the shoe itself!

I think it actually is. I read a few articles on it and it seemed to suggest wearing a stability runner always will make you more reliant on it. A few articles also suggested stability runners were only needed if U were very over pronate and that the average Joe with a bit of it should dable away neutral but for some reason there was a big push on stability runners in the mid 2000s on , a bit like the minimalist running shoe a few years ago and now all the top elite runners are running with massive shoe stacks. I suppose they have to sell the new fangled idea to keep the industry going.

2 Likes

Did you read ‘Born To Run’?

I’ve two pairs of road shoes I picked up cheap in sales - the Hoka Arahi and Saucony Guide. Both would be stability shoes. I was trying to figure should I get a new pair of the Guides for the marathon or if I should go for the Endorphins that lots of lads are on about. The Endorphins are listed as neutral but have a 8mm drop. My worry is that I’d pick up an injury by switching so I think I’ll stick with the Guides.

My running mentor in the club sent the following on: “My advice would be to have a newish broken in pair of your favourites for race day with plenty of bounce, have another pair for the bulk of training. Make sure they are distance shoes and not 5k shoes. Get a gait analysis if you wish but it’s not necessary. On your last long run wear your race day shoes and socks together.”

2 Likes

No. I’ve not read it but I will now . Thanks. The bit of knowledge from your run club mentor sounds fairly solid.

1 Like

Amphibian king.

@Mac

2 Likes