The Official TFK 2023 Fun Running Thread

Oh right, that rings a bell - I may have been corrected on this before. I should be using the Speed for my Monday tempos instead of the Pros so. :grimacing:

I find the Guides fine. They’re a stability shoe & maybe a little bit weighty but they’re fairly comfortable & grand for the easy day-to-day running. I prefer something lighter when I’m trying to go faster in a race scenario (cc @caulifloweredneanderthal).

2 Likes

I’d say I’ll be going slow enough in the race scenario :rofl:

1 Like

Ach sure so will I but I’ll dare to dream!

I’m going to head down to Dublin and walk* all over the cunts

*Hopefully I’ll manage a jog

1 Like

I’ll be lining up in the Phoenix Park on Sat morning (in my Pro 3’s cc @Bandage) for the Marathon series 10 miler.

The other races in the series have been good fun. Decent crowds and well organised. Not sure what I’m expecting for this one after an injury disrupted month but we’ll see how it goes. Anyone else heading?

3 Likes

Best of luck. I’m not running it, as I’m off on holidays* on Saturday. I’m down for the half marathon in mid-late September so I aim to keep tipping away between now & then. Build up the long run time on feet & distance & generally improve my fitness.

*to magnificent Monaghan

1 Like

I did it last year. Like all races in Phoenix Park plenty of drags but a good event. Best of luck. Doing Kilcock 10 mile on Sunday myself.

4 Likes

Spin over here Sunday morning for a LSR

I’ll leave at 10.45am & run out the Carrickmacross Road & you leave Dundalk simultaneously. We’ll meet in the middle in Closkey’s Pub for a feed of spuds at midday. I’ll do my long run on Friday morning all going well but I might be in Dundalk IT on Sunday morning for Junior Parkrun with my older fella. Feel free to pass on information on where to go/park etc.

If you see a fat lad running on the grass in DkIT, give me a wave. Loads of parking at the college.

1 Like

I’ve found the next% tempos a serious interval/workout shoe. It’s like one of Nike race shoes but far more robust sole and upper that can take punishment. I would be willing to give a Saucony elite or pro a go . Looking for an everyday trainer easy miles runner. As the Nike latest Pegasus 40 is dogshit and surprisingly the 39 was a great shoe.

Ordered myself a pair of the Saucony Triumph 20 (last years model) this morning for the upcoming push to DCM. Needed another daily trainer because the others ones are near goosed.

Enjoyable Frank Duffy 10 miler on Sat. When the wind and rain was howling on Fri night things looked ominous but it cleared well for the race - pretty blustery but no real issue. Well organised again by the Irish Life crowd and it’s a decent course, as was mentioned here a couple of drags but nothing too hard hill-wise. I think the half marathon course is basically the same with a bit extra tacked on.

8 Likes

Brilliant time bud

Bit odd have 10 milers in Phoenix Park and Kilcock on consecutive days. Surely they’d take a bit away from each other?

Still trying to figure out who’s who. Somebody ran a seriously impressive time in Kilcock.

@Wexford1996

1 Like

Some run

Ran out of steam last 3 or 4k but happy enough

2 Likes

My ligament issue appears to have healed up (touch wood) so getting back into some sort of DCM structured training having lost the guts of 3 weeks.

I took the Hoka Carbons for a proper test run today and I think the difference is ridiculous. Maybe I just got used to wearing heavy Kayanos but it felt like I was bouncing back up off the ground. It felt like I was jogging at one stage and I was doing 4:15-4:20 pace.

I did get a bit over excited and keep going far too quick before realising the stamina isn’t there yet so slowed back up. 5km at a 4:40ish average in them felt like a jog rather than a push. I’m only wearing them for faster sessions but will give them a spin in Ratoath in a few weeks and see how they go.

6 Likes

Good stuff. The injuries are fairly frustrating - you can feel both the weeks and fitness ebbing away.

1 Like