The Official TFK 2023 Fun Running Thread

Yeah, feedback seems to be almost universally positive. There was some chat about it yesterday but it ended up on the 2022 TFK fun running thread rather than this one. The main/only quibble is the traffic at the start line & it can be tricky if you get caught too far back. They had over 5,000 entries & nearly 3,900 runners on the day. But there’s a great atmosphere alright & the club really gets behind it in terms of organisation and volunteers/stewards. People seems pretty happy with the goody bag & the course actually measuring 5 miles this year.

3 Likes

Taking a big step this weekend, I’m moving to working off miles/minute for my training paces. I have a question. I’ve changed my measurement settings on the Garmin Connect app from metric to statute but the watch itself is still coming up in metres/kilometres and I can’t see how to change it on the face of the watch. I thought the app would sync with the watch. Does anyone know if there’s something I’m missing?

1 Like

Can you turn the watch off and restart it?

Have you got connect IQ

1 Like

You have to change it on watch. What watch have you?

2 Likes

Garmin Vivoactive 4.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals-apac/webhelp/vivoactive44s/EN-SG/GUID-BDD78212-EBBB-4C04-B08E-3CDB4DBE7A37-3142.html

1 Like

Thank you.

That’s unreal. You can even retain distance in metres/km and change pace to mile/minute or any combination.

Unreal if you’re doing a 10x400m at 6:00m/m pace for example.

1 Like

Great run in Dungarvan @Gavrilo-Princip. :clap:

Seemed to be a nice day for it.

4 Likes

Thanks chief didn’t really expect to break 70 today so was pleasantly surprised to sneak in a bit under it. Perfect conditions, cool, clear and barely a puff of wind. 3’750 togged out apparently.

4 Likes

Has anyone done the 10k for Milford Hospice before? The 2023 version is on next Sunday. Seems straightforward enough and it’s a great cause.

I haven’t done it but @Rintintin has a few times. I know they’ve said previously it isn’t a great one if you are going for a time as it attracts a huge number of walkers who’ll all line up near the start so you’ll spend the first 1km picking your way through them.

2 Likes

Is a Strava subscription worthwhile, lads? I think you subscribe @Locke? I’m wondering if having access to the extra functionality might be useful. Maybe help you train better, shave a few seconds off times in races & let you know when you’re risking injury. Or is it a bit pointless and you can keep on top of the stuff I mentioned without paying extra?

I think it’s worth it. Not sure how much it is, is it 40 quid or something? I’ve subscribed that long that I don’t know what it would be like without having a sub.

1 Like

what watch do you use?

i see from above, garmin Connect should do everything for you that strava does

1 Like

I’ve never subscribed. Never will bother.

1 Like

You are not a proper runner unless you have a strava sub

2 Likes

Course is 300m long and no official times . So it’s purely a fun run. Grand one to get the year going as long as ur not worried about times. A great run for ppl to start out with . Loads of people in the same boat and loads who are doing just this one a year for a very good cause.

1 Like

I have a sub myself . Not really sure what I’m getting out of it at this stage. Between training peaks and Garmin they have most things covered. But I’m a sucker for a gimmick. One thing I’ve noticed with Strava and Garmin . If u were to keep a track of fitness through either. Strava ups ur fitness points when ur killing urself as In it loves to see high hr efforts where as Garmin takes the opposite approach. If a run of that pace was not taxing on ur HR ur fitness goes up.

4 Likes

Excuse my ignorance but what does the Garmin Connect app offer other than logging your runs? I see the Strava sub gives you access to stuff like relative effort so you can track if you’re running into an injury & it updates your fitness “score” after each run so you can keep tabs on your overall fitness level?

It’ll tell you exactly how much time you spent in each ‘zone’, training effect, etc.

I forgot I had it until ye started talking about it above

All I know is my HR zones are the factory function ones and I never reset them properly for me. So I just go off the BPM.

2 Likes