The Official TFK Coffee Thread

I ended up owning a Nespresso machine at the weekend.

Where is best for buying capsules?

1 Like

Brown Thomas. You get to have a free coffee also

Super Valu, Lidl and Aldi own brand capsules are all grand.

1 Like

Welcome to the world of bland, lukewarm coffee.

3 Likes

This is generally my experience of it also.

If you Google it, some coffee nerd has done a recent review.
Aldis since the latest update seem to be best.
If you buy a fluffer for the milk, I think the coffee is lovely. Certainly as good as cafe Nero/Costa etc.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Seeing as I got it for nothing I intend to try it our properly.

We have one of those yokes. Usually get the capsules on line. I rarely use it but other members of the household do.

I found americanised etc out of these machines were rotten. Too much water passed through the capsule makes for weak and bitter coffee. Espressos out of them are fine.

Would you not prepare a regular shot of coffee and add near-boiling water for an Americano?

I got an aldi machine for Christmas, with a hape of nespresso pods . Used it last weekend. Deeelicious.
Edit I only drink cappuccino so I’d have no idea what the neat espresso was like.
I’ll never use the gaggio again though.

Two regular shots, yeah. When I used one machine before it had a button for espresso and a button for Americano.

Gaago is better

Wishing you many happy years of enjoyable coffee drinking with the new machine, pal.

I was going to say it’s a bit less glitchy, but actually.

Nespresso shop off Grafton st or online

The shop have a very clever system to scan what you buy automatically without you scanning them or any human interaction

It’s a great gadget. The pods from Aldi and Lidl don’t fit it properly and get jammed.

1 Like

I can confirm that this is a load of bollix.

1 Like

Living in the sticks so buy them online. Smaller volume of water gives nicer coffee alright. New goldie coloured ones are nice. Usually drink the blue or dark green. Navy and purple are rotten.

Only bought Aldi capsules once and some of them jammed a little alright.

1 Like

If you’ve owned a proper espresso maker in the past you will want to smash the nespreso up after a few weeks, the very best coffee you can get for this is well below average, the nespresso brand stuff from BT is definitely best though, you’ll also get a great laugh from the 2 day course trained ‘experts’ and their bullshit ‘walnut and elderberry undertones’.
The supermarket pods are all terrible in my experience, I only ever drink espressos from mine.

3 Likes

Does it depend on your machine? Ive heard said complaints from people