The Official TFK Local and European Elections Thread 2024

Indications would seem to be that Fine Gael are doing quite well.

This forum, myself included, was pretty much unanimous that Simon Harris would bomb as Taoiseach, that he would be electoral poison.

So far things seem to be going quite well for him.

Were we all wrong? Is Harris actually Fine Gaelā€™s equivalent of Jim McGuinness?

Or is this a Mickey Harte type situation, where @peddlerscross jumped too early and said that Derryā€™s NFL victory put to rest all the doubts about Harteā€™s appointment when some of us cautioned to wait to judge him?

I think heā€™s played the Palestine stuff well.

And heā€™ll do a budget and then go for an election. The budgets arenā€™t as ā€œexcitingā€ anymore since theyā€™re all leaked but maybe theyā€™ll go for a surprise to throw in there and then just go in hoping to return the same parties but with more balance of power with FG. It seems doable

Iā€™d say heā€™d be well liked around Tipp Town for sure.

1 Like

Another possible success for an Abbey alumni?

1 Like

I donā€™t think these local elections have much bearing on the general election.

I voted 1-2 for my local FG councillors who ā€œhelpedā€ me/notified me when I got planning. Fg/FF are still the old reliables on the ground in this department.

In the general election I donā€™t have one of these local representatives so it will have to be Lowry or possibly a mid-right alternative.

2 Likes

Very well.

I think from an optics of view it would help the Government to have our election in close enough proximity to the US election campaign to draw a contrast between them and the insanity of what will be the US campaign, as if to ask, do you really want this crazy shit here?

A giveaway budget wonā€™t harm things either.

Iā€™d guess a November election.

Iā€™ve a cousin who would claim he was his campaign manager. He got a huge youth vote that was probably in a vaccum. Best of luck to him. The cousin will do some supping over the weekend.

1 Like

Do they still have the pub in Bansha?

Some of the men on the ground will answer that. Iā€™m too far removed

No thatā€™s gone over ten years.

Heney probably left a few hundred votes behind too from the diaspora. Some amount of young people in the area abroad.

Unreal performance. Set his stall out early and had the work put in.

I might tip in to Thurles later for the general hooping and hollering across all the candidates. Always a tremendous occasion.

1 Like

@Juhniallio

Any update

No. First official count is now but sure you have the numbers from earlier.
Donnelan wont make up the gap, haughey will get in so its one of the old councillors not getting in. Healy will get transfers surely, so its either guerin or Lavin who lose out

2 Likes

https://tallyrifficmaps.com/wordpress/?p=1294

2 Likes

Rte leading with ā€œnothing to see hereā€ for govt parties even though theyve dropped 10% in support going by those tallies

Yeah but SF at 13 per cent after polling in the 30s 9 months ago is a bigger story

1 Like

Poor Art is seething.

We were told that Change was coming.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0608/1453654-elections-2024/

1 Like

The shinners have been dropping like a stone of late due to being a totally ineffective opposition and several missteps including saying theyd rerun the roundly rejected referendums

10% drop and you think everything is rosy for the blueshirts, brown envelopes and watermelons?