The Olympics

He won that handy alright.

He wore a t shirt in the semi. When I saw that, I knew I was looking at the gold medallist.

2 Likes

Likelihood is now that of the 10 races on the track, US men will not win a single gold medal. That’s never happened before in an Olympics they’ve competed in, stretching all the way back to the very first Olympics in Athens in 1896.

The abysmal performance of Trayvon Bromell in the 100 really set the tone for the week ahead.

3 Likes

The Decathlon is some event. Damian Warner joins the elite group to break 9,000 points.

Do you know the Five Lamps?

1 Like

Yes.

I remember getting up for work one morning and a lad had been murdered outside the takeaway down the road. The Italian chip shop there just beyond the Five Lamps.

They need a Billy Walsh.

The decline of certain sports in historical strongholds is fascinating. Cricket in Jamaica and the wider West Indies, gymnastics in Romania, boxing and track and field in the US.

Is the obsession with American football a major reason for the US’s decline in boxing and track and field? The rise in Jamaican sprinting has certainly coincided with its decline in cricket.

The women in the canoe sprint :peach:

Looking at the 2016 penthatlon results there, Coyle was

13th in Fencing (13th overall at that point)
18th in Swimming (12th overall at that point)
Joint 1st in Riding (6th overall at that point)
16th in running/shooting (7th overall at that point)

It would seem that the fencing result today was a big improvement which is encouraging.

1 Like

DJ Carey v Clare 2002 style goal there for the Kookaburras in the men’s hockey final against Belgium.

And we go to a penalty competition.

And the Belgians have done it!

A penalty stroke within the penalty competition from 14 goal Alexander Hendrickx the decisive score.

This background music on the RTE round up is the fucking business.

1 Like

Kata looks savage Craic.

So there’s no actual fighting in the karate?

Doesn’t appear to be, Miyagi Do would mop this up for medals

There’s also a bonus fencing round tomorrow like a ‘winner stays on’ approach. Coyle will be third last to go and I’ve no idea how the points work for it.

She’s also swimming in heat 4 of the 200m tomorrow.

I was wrong. Kicking off now on Eurosport 7

SWEEEEP THE LEG!

Ya can’t kick the legs or the arms

I’m out.

Ukrainian one fighting now is a bit of alright