The Olympics

O’Donovan and McCarthy weren’t rising to Peters superlatives earlier. 2 honest genuine lads who’d prefer to be in a boat than with a camera in their face. His line about the amount of medals we’ll have in a million years was priceless.

They went off strong favourites. Had a game plan and they stuck to it. It’s amazing to see Irish lads dominate in that way and be comfortable being favourites rather than the perennial underdog we seem to prefer being. I hope they’re role models for a generation as we could all learn from them.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Fantastic interview - two great lads :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Fintan looks like a man with a tit in each hand and one spare. A big smiley head up on him. As it should be

1 Like

Sound tum but looking for the full race. Want to show it to the kids and pretend it’s live

RTE player

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/tokyo-2020-through-the-night/SI0000010934?epguid=IH000403307

cc @Bandage

I’ve edited in the right clip there @Arthur - 1.hr 44 in

1 Like

Our greatest ever male Olympian?

1 Like

By a distance at this stage. If Tom Barr manages to medal this year he’d move into 2nd

I forgot the other Cork multiple medalist Dr Pat O Callaghan who probably still holds that title with his two golds.

1 Like

Dunno.

I still think a track and field medal and gold is the pinnacle of the Olympic Games.

Ronnie Delaney won the blue riband track and field event.

6 Likes

Field Sports are a very different beast

I was just going to say. He isn’t the best Cork male olympian yet

The Chinese women were in suspiciously good form last night in the pool. Won the 200 butterfly in an Olympic record and the 4 x 200 freestyle relay, blitzing the world record. Ledecky has had a bad Games and never looked like overhauling the Chinese in the relay. Australia fucked up big time with their order, front loading their team.

Paul O Donovan must be countries greatest active sportsman by a distance, now that McGregor is in a tough run of bouts

He fell out with his brother.

Did Ronnie Delaney make any impression at subsequent Olympics? I think he was young enough in 1956

Fogra. Best Cork Olympian.

His brother didnt qualify - Young Fintan got in ahead of him. I was informed that Gary was there as a reserve.

There needs to be a darts style unification match up between the winners of the lightweight double sculls and the winners of the heavyweight double sculls.