The Olympics

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]What timeā€™s the 100m final on at folks?

Good win for one of the Irish boxers this morning apparently.[/quote]

according to AFR its on around 3.30ā€¦

sutherlaned and another lad from belfast whoā€™s name escapes me had good winsā€¦sutherland absolutely hammered his opponent 22-4 or something like thatā€¦

just came home in time last night to see phelps win his 7th medalā€¦7th with 50 metres to go and he got up to win it by 1/100 of a secondā€¦

Heptathlon birds:

Kelly Sotherton, Karolina Kluft and Natalia Dobrynska.

Mad to see yer man Bolt win the 100m by such a wide margin, breaking the world record in do so, yet seemingly showboating and slowing down over the last 20m or so. Goes to show he can probably run even faster.

Nah, wasnt referring to any of those 3, far nicer birds out there in todays events.

Yep, I know. I was just perving on another forum and found some heptathletes!

The last man to win a 100m so convincingly and by such a margin was probably Ben Johnson.

Not that Iā€™m implying anything.

I thnk youā€™d be wrong in implying that Bandage. Its pretty much agreed that Bolt is just a freak.

The consensus on Bolt seems to be that heā€™s a freak alright. He has a huge stride but it doesnā€™t effect his leg speed because his stride isnā€™t proportional to his size. Anyway utterly ridiculous performance.

Sutherlandā€™s win wasnā€™t that easy Puke. He was losing for much of the fight and only got ahead definitively in the last round but he did stop his opponent. Barnes looked very assured in his fight later.

Some fight in Barnes, hes a right little terrior, one of those little fellas you have to love to watch. Boxers have been impressive this year so far, surely a bronze on offer now at least.

Rebecca Adlington vs Michelle Smith

Following my earlier Bolt accusations, letā€™s talk about Adlington.

There are shit loads of comparsions between her and Michelle Smith. She just won her second gold today and she was previously unheralded. She also broke the world record by over 2 seconds. Something certainly doesnā€™t add up. However, the main thing in common is how dog ugly both of them are.

Adlington:

Smith:

Well folks, itā€™s been a busy few days since I last posted. Friday began with a swim of my own, to get myself into the mindset of an athlete. Having enPhelpsed myself fully, I made a quick call to see what was the order of the day. With my cycling experience being a paper round in my younger days and my current high nellie in Beijing, I thought the Velodrome might enhance my sporting palate. Off we went to the 5th west ring road and the LaoShan Velodrome, where Mayoman Dave Oā€™ Loughlin was attempting to qualify in the individual pursuit. Having been stripped of the tricolour at the gate, the omens werenā€™t good. While TFK is filled with cycling enthusiasts, Iā€™ve never been one. The inside of a cycling stadium would change that. The raised track, aerodynamic helmets and filled wheels give a futuristic vibe to the place. The middle of the track is a mix of stalls with cyclists in varying states of warm ups and warm downs. ā€˜Come on Mayoā€™ in a loud gutteral TFK Dublin voice raised a visible smile from the man in green. Our boy was in heat 7 of 9 and the top 8 qualified. Having finished 6th at the world championships, Dave wasnā€™t without hope. However, times were good(you pick up shit like this in every venue from the assorted bigwigs, bluffers and experts), and Dave was up against it. Out of the blocks well, he was an excellent fourth after the first lap. Managing to maintain this pace for about four or five laps, our hopes were high. It was then the first cracks began to appear, his split times slipped to fifth, then sixth. Itā€™s a desperate race against the clock and youā€™re continually checking the clock while screaming encouragement. When the last lap came, our hearts were firmly in our mouths. Stop the clock. 4.32.02. 8th place. With two heats left. Dave looked very unhappy with his effort as he went for the warm down. A NZ rider in the next heat put us out of our misery quickly, and a Brit in the last broke the Olympic record. Close Dave, but no cigar.
A quick jump into a cab and a 30minute beerswilling journey across town saw us land in Paddyā€™s in time to pick up the tickets for John Joe Nevinā€™s fight. A substantial crowd of Irish had got tickets and were in fine voice, but we had seen the Mongolian lad he was fighting previously and feared the worst. JohnJoe had been a bucket of energy in his previous fight and we hoped he might unsettle the mongolian, but our fears were realised when the Mongolian outclassed him. 9-2 or so. Devastated, he left the arena with his name still being sung.
Darren Sutherland finally made his 1st appearance on saturday afternoon and it was worth waiting for. The best fight seen by this Olympic correspondent since the Rock v Marc Currid after school circa 1994( Rock lost this on a tko when his sister stepped in and stopped it). Toe to toe for four rounds, Nabil Kassel was a good adversary, and the hits were many and hard. Even on points entering the fourth Sutherland finally showed he had too much for the Algerian pulling away with a string of beautiful punches. The fight was actually stopped just before the end as the now jelly-legged Algerian had had enough. It must take some power to actually knock out someone wearing headgear, and Sutherland will need every bit of it in his next fight against a big Venezuelan, who loooked shithot in his earlier bout.
The Birdā€™s nest on saturday night was one of the best sporting experiences of my life. Absolutely superb. While myself and the future MrsJ were engaging in a game of spot-the-cock on the female shotputters, we had long jump, 400m hurdles and 800m heats. The womenā€™s heptathlon final too, with some gorgeous athletes on show. Also the heartwarming sight of all the heptathletes, joined by some of the 800m runners in a joined lap of honour after it was won by a Ukrainian chick. Deadly altogether, but nothing could prepare us for the spinetingling, once in alifetime excitement of the 100m final. What a build up, epic music and bigscreen clips had the entire 90odd thousand in a frenzy. Spitting distance from the starting line, we were afforded a perfect view of the sprinters as they pysched themselves up. What a race we would witness. How any man can run a new world record while slowing down and showboating across the line is beyond me. Oh, and he was second last out of the blocks. Sheer, unbelievable athletic prowess. He was hailed as a god and embarked on a deservedly long lap of honour, lapping up the adulation of the crowds. Ebullient and charming, he could have stayed all night and the crowd would have stayed and danced and sang to the Reggae music which honoured this historic victory. The crowd eventually floated away, delighted, mesmerised by witnessing this awesome display, drunk with the joy of having been a tiny part of an immortal moment.
Over 90,000 people disappeared into the Beijing night thinking 'I was thereā€¦

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Mad to see yer man Bolt win the 100m by such a wide margin, breaking the world record in do so, yet seemingly showboating and slowing down over the last 20m or so. Goes to show he can probably run even faster.[/QUOTE]

The point youā€™re really making Bandy is that Usain Bolt is a clever as he is fast.

All those golden eggs will be lined up before the next grand prix.

The first Billionaire Athlete too?

Anyway, you gotta love him. Heā€™s a true Athenian, you gotta love him.

Good stuff again there Juhy - keep the reports coming.

Did you watch the Dublin game in Paddy Oā€™Sheaā€™s?

Surely, you have stories of great banter and people slagging Dessie Cahill about the result?

Smashing stuff Juhy. Our tv reception went about 5 seconds before the start of the 100m final and didnā€™t return for about 3 minutes by which time it was all a bit past tense. Some peformance from the big man though.

Any chance of going to the next Sutherland fight? Looks like it could be awesome. Your man beat Sutherland before by two points but itā€™s as much the manner of the two fighters as anything. Theyā€™re two strong bastards and it could be a cracking bout.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Following my earlier Bolt accusations, letā€™s talk about Adlington.

There are shit loads of comparsions between her and Michelle Smith. She just won her second gold today and she was previously unheralded. She also broke the world record by over 2 seconds. Something certainly doesnā€™t add up. However, the main thing in common is how dog ugly both of them are.

Adlington:

Smith:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/photoessay/top10-doping/gfx/smith-michelle-getty-1996.jpg[/quote]

One big difference is that Addlington is only 20 years of age, she could improve. De Bruin was a dried up old cunt.

Roisin McGettigan - nice

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/mcgettigan.jpg

Irish boxing schedules:

Barnes: Tuesday 19th 12.00

Egan: Tuesday 19th 14.16

Sutherland: Wednesday 20th 13.00

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]Irish boxing schedules:

Barnes: Tuesday 19th 12.00

Egan: Tuesday 19th 14.16

Sutherland: Wednesday 20th 13.00[/quote]

who is our best prospect of a medalā€¦i was impressed with eganā€¦what are their opponents likeā€¦

Boltā€™s a legend. He was so chilled out before the race it was ridiculous. And then afterwards he was cool as a breeze as well. I like him. I promised anyone whoā€™d listen to me the day of the final that heā€™d run under 9.7 and he didnā€™t disappoint. Wonder if he can beat Michael Johnsonā€™s world record in the 200m.

I love Stephanie Rice.

Apologies for my ignorance but who the fook is she?

Australian swimmer. Won 3 golds. Sheā€™s hot and I want to have sexy intercourse with her.