The Pay Your Respects to Dead Racehorses Thread

Sure heā€™s training forever and has the big patronage of PJ McManus behind him donkey years. Its easy for him have more festival winners than Elliot, De Bromhead, Skelton, Greatrex who are only doing it maybe a third of the time at most that Johnjoe is. His career has spanned what, 30 or so years as a trainer and Synchronised is the best horse he can lay claim to have trained?

You said he wouldnā€™t train lassie to bark. Clearly not the case. Now Iā€™m not having this pointless argument with you anymore as I doubt our views will agree any time soon.

Iā€™ll name them - 15 national hunt trainers Iā€™d give a horse to before Johnjoe. For argument sake the horse is a 5yr old with the ability to win a bumper first time up. In no particular order:

1. Willie
  2. Elliot
  3. De Bromhead
  4. Mouse
  5. Charles
  6. Harrington
  7. Cromwell
  8. Denis Hogan
  9. Nicholls
  10. Fry
  11. Skelton
  12. Greatrex
  13. Tizzard
  14. Mulholland
  15. Weld

Letā€™s make it 20.

16 Venetia Williams
17 Joseph Oā€™Brien
18 Gary Moore
19 Twiston Davies
20 King

On top of that Iā€™ve purposefully left out a few high profile trainers who you could argue are better than Johnjoe, but I just donā€™t warm to them or rate them as much as the others I included - Nicky Henderson, Meade, Hobbs, David Pipe, Bolger. Some going for a supposedly top trainer to not be missed out of that list of 25 names.

2 Likes

back in 2006 when i was selling coke i put 300 quid on BJK at 4/6 to win a long distance hurdle in Aintree on the friday, he obliged
i remember well allright the yarn about the guy who put 14k i think on him for that treble
Hi Cloy won the same day in aintree for Hourihan beat Central House
that was around the time every winter sunday youā€™d back Nickname at evens and every thursday in thurles youā€™d back nine-o and make a fortune

3 Likes

Your a gas man

You donā€™t rate Nicky Henderson?

Aside from all that heā€™s having an argument about something that we werenā€™t even discussing.

But Nicky is a bad miss off his list alright. 30 odd festival winners ffs

1 Like

I do iā€™d just rather give the horse to the other 20 on my list. Although i could easily transfer Nicky in for for Skelton. Nicky would be as good and Skelton comes across as a bit of an unlikable cunt.

Itā€™s who i would give a horse to, not who do i think has most festival winners. Iā€™d happily put Nicky in over Skelton.

I know thatā€¦I just think itā€™s a gas list.

Youā€™ve criticised JJ for being only good to put one away for a handicapā€¦and you have included Hogan on the list.

Youā€™ve detracted from JJ ability on basis of his having a wealthy patron and youā€™ve included Mullins (ricci) Elliot (gigginstown) Joseph (JP) Skelton (his old man) on the list.

You are absolutely correct that Iā€™d have a horse with most of them before John Joe nowā€¦but heā€™s 65 years of age winding down his operation. Itā€™s a completely unfair comparison with a load of young progressive trainers.

And rememberā€¦the original point of dispute was not that JJ was currently (or ever) a top trainers. It was that he couldnā€™t train lassie to bark. Which is clearly unfair.

When they history of NH racing is written John Joe will rank a whole pile higher than Warren Greatrex!!!

He will in his hole Greatrex is on the up he will be a great trainer with a bit of patronage behind him.

:joy:

Now I know your on a wind up. Good night kid

If Johnjo wasnā€™t from Cork youā€™d probably be calling him the biggest cunt in Ireland.

Not true. Iā€™d say he is a woeful cunt as it is. Just not relevant to the conversation.

lads
would ye ever be in the bookies and would be delighted when a horse would fall?
ive often shouted ā€œfall ya bastardā€ at the ā€œone in frontā€ if i had money on the one coming second approaching the last
is this considered poor gambling etiquette?

2 Likes

I do it in my head as well if iā€™m on the fella in the second. Itā€™d be considered poor form by the gambling fraternity alright.

You didnā€™t think iā€™d come up with the list of 20 names and now you know i have you cornered. Good night Dan.

Yeah, itā€™s like moving your arm if youā€™re at a golf event when a player is putting and youā€™re in his eye line. Patrons canā€™t do things like that.

@Smark
That was the question that was askedā€¦not the one you answered. Youā€™re a gas man

Youā€™re

2 Likes