The people who must be shitting themselves thread

Why is it ridiculous to protest against the Israeli ambassador?

Was it ridiculous that apartheid South Africa was ostracised from the international community?

They are going after Jimmy Carr now in a big wway

Tfk will be cancelled if this continues

Is that for real, is there a criminal investigation?

Has anyone ever been cancelled and made a comeback?

Liam Neeson was cancelled a few years back but is back promoting the vaccines with UNICEF, a return of sorts.

Neil Francis

Oh yes, he was cancelled for comparing some lad to an Oompa Loompa but it turned out to be the lads natural skin colour I think.

Back now with The Sunday Times.

Gordon Elliott a little bit but Id say he wasn’t really mainstream enough to stay cancelled.

Cusack was cancelled for a few months after the character reference for Humphries but has been rehabilitated by RTE.

He skipped out to Australia apparently

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

As far as I can see what happened is that a trans actor who had been cast in the production pulled out in protest at the role of a separate character - that of a trans woman - being given to a man. That’s not as you describe above.

This was reported on March 11th, 2020.

The show had been scheduled to premiere in Galway in July 2020 and in the Donmar Warehouse Theatre in London in October 2020, and was also scheduled for runs in Dublin and Birmingham.

Obviously these shows didn’t run but I have not seen anything to indicate that it was as a result of anything other than the pandemic. The Donmar would not reopen until October 2021 and presumably things had moved on significantly by then, not least for the cast involved. I would also presume that many shows which were in production simply never got made as a result of the pandemic.

In May 2021, nearly a year after the show was due to open, the Donmar signed a statement that it would in future only cast transgender roles to transgender actors.

All of this seems important context that is missing from your post.

And it’s absolute world away from JC McQuaid getting the Dublin Theatre Festival cancelled in the 1950s.

I’m not sure if it went any further than a social media accusation.

That seems a bit extreme. If they thought a certain actor was better for the role then what’s the issue? It’s called ‘acting’ not life experience.

Kate Blanchett should be fucked off for playing Bob Dylan. Glenn Close played a man a few years back also - fuck her off out if it.

2 Likes

[/quote]

As far as I can see what happened is that a trans actor who had been cast in the production pulled out in protest at the role of a separate character - that of a trans woman - being given to a man. That’s not as you describe above.

All of this seems important context that is missin
[/quote]

Why does this change the context? Someone got discriminated against because of their gender it seems. Surely that’s wrong?

It’s only wrong when it’s not a man being discriminated against. Otherwise it’s ok.

A bonus when it’s a white man being discriminated against… that’s a high 5 moment.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem remotely extreme to me. The argument, and it’s a very reasonable one, is that cis men playing trans women reinforces harmful stereotypes against trans women.

This seems to me to be very similar reasoning to why a white actor will now never be cast as a black character using blackface - because the argument was made and accepted that such practices carry a weight of negative historical baggage and reinforce stereotypes and prejudices against black people.

Mrs Doubtfire must be expunged.

2 Likes

Cancel the whole world.

White is the new black.