The people who must be shitting themselves thread

That’s a sure sign the ego gas gone out of control.

BRENDA POWER

2 Johnnies are squealing now, but it’s too late

Ah lads, would you all leave the 2 Johnnies alone? Such a fuss, as they might say themselves, over such a little thing. The comedians/presenters from Tipperary have been suspended, let’s hope briefly, from their RTE 2fm drivetime show, for what? Reading out a few bumper stickers on their podcast (one million listeners a month and counting) that were sent in by other people, that’s all. Fair enough, they were a little bit sexist (eg, “women are like tyres; no good unless they’re squealing”), but other people sent them in and they simply read them out.

It’s all a massive overreaction, they’re being piled on by the self-righteous Twitter snowflakes, when all they did was pass on some cheeky slogans that other people found amusing (like, “she’s not a princess, she’s a slut”). I mean, if listeners had sent in trans jokes, for example, or racist jokes, or gay jokes or fat jokes, they’d have read them out too. Of course they would. Have a sense of humour, for God’s sake.

Well, actually, we all know they would NOT have read out a trans joke, a gay joke, or a black joke. They wouldn’t have been dumb enough to repeat Jimmy Carr’s joke about gypsies being exterminated in the Holocaust, even though that was second-hand humour too. In a contrite apology last Thursday, the 2 Johnnies agreed the posts were offensive and should never have been published. “This is not,” they said, “who we are nor what we stand for.” (Ah lads, it totally is, go easy on yourselves, sure that’s why you’ve got such a following. Two johnnies? Har har.) “We aim to do better in the future,” they added. “We are not perfect and we are learning all the time.” Bless.

Isn’t it funny, though, how the very last lesson they’ve learnt, the wisdom that was slowest to dawn on them, the insight that escaped them until after they’d landed a primetime slot on RTE, was that it’s not OK to make jokes about hurting women? Isn’t it interesting that the one gag you can still expect to get away with, even as a presenter on a licence fee-funded national broadcaster, is one about women being sluts? And how is it possible that, after the events of the past two months, the lesson about not making crude jokes which reduce women to the sum of their body parts and their sexual functions was still a work in progress for these grown men?

If Benny Hill emerged from cold storage and started cracking jokes about making a woman’s “cheeks clap and wiggle” — another of the 2 Johnnies’ quips — we might just excuse him for having dozed through #MeToo, #YesAllWomen, the protests and rallies against anti-women violence, the high-profile murders of women, the Belfast rape trial and the revulsion at the corrosive laddishness exposed in those young sportsmen’s texts. But how did the 2 Johnnies, supposedly the voices of a generation of young, savvy, largely rural millennials, miss all that? Did they really miss all that?

I had a look back through the Twitter feeds of some of those men now defending the 2 Johnnies as victims of a mindless cancellation culture and insisting their stock-in-trade is just banter. Back in January, though, after the death of Ashling Murphy and during the surge of discussion, remorse and raised awareness that followed, they were wringing their hands with the rest of us about what could be done to make women feel safe. I wonder what stopped the 2 Johnnies risking that sort of banter, about sluts, female genitalia and making women squeal, back then?

They may have done us a favour, the 2 Johnnies, by exposing the evanescence of all that ostentatious male hand-wringing, all that self-congratulation about not making women feel uneasy as they walk home or take a bus at night, all that emoting about sharing women’s pain and fear: all of it undone by a culture, and clearly a broadcasting mindset, that defends as “banter” nothing more elevated than sniggering sexual innuendo. Comedy is tragedy plus time and, when the joke is on women, the time is warp speed.

New garda statistics, published last week, showed that most violent attacks on women take place in their homes by present or former partners. You’ll just have to forgive us, all you hilarious men, if we’re less than tickled by jokes about making women squeal.

•Few online fads have taken off like Wordle, where players have six chances to guess one five-letter word. There was consternation recently when The New York Times bought the game. It remains free on the newspaper’s website but there is a moral price: the NYT has purged the game of all terms it considers offensive.

The curious thing is that some are proper English words, with historical and etymological origins, and others date back to Shakespearean times. Even stranger, some of the words that survived are downright rude. For example, among the prohibited words are slave, wench, whore, bitch, pussy and lynch, but the genuinely nasty cs gets by, as does fs — zero given, clearly, about that Anglo-Saxon expletive.

Wench is a term of endearment in The Tempest , used by Prospero in addressing his daughter, and comes originally from the 12th-century English word wenchel , meaning child. It has perhaps come to mean a lusty sort of woman, and at least conveys more female agency than the offensive sluts, which the NYT has also banned.

While they denote especially offensive practices, how can slave and lynch be banned? And how is a newspaper to report on the history of racial atrocities in the US, or indeed the plight of modern victims of sex trafficking, without using the word slave? The only saving grace of the NYT’s extremely woke initiative is that, in removing a handful of words, it has made the daily puzzle a fraction easier.

1 Like

First Half GIF

If there’s anyone I’d like to see the mob turn on,its that horrible cunt

2 Likes

Me. Dinner in Kathmandu kitchen in malahide last night. A sign of my age possibly but a table at 7.30pm is far too late for me at this stage. Not sure if it was the greatest of cuisine. Generic buttery sauces and I have had regular opportunities for introspection on the throne this morning beginning at about 6am. The saving grace is no kids.

4 Likes

The father in law said to me recently, I love Indian food but it doesn’t agree with my stomach. I said sure that’s part of it.

Send that onto Lauren once she wakes up :smiley:

I had a mild Persian type takeaway last night after a couple of pints. I then had a bizarre inception type experience where I dreamt that I had a dream that I had soiled myself. I woke back up into my first dream, thinking , oh thankfully that was only a dream, before realising slowly I was still dreaming (I was still thinking I’d filled my trousers whilst out and about), before waking properly, and quietly sliding out to the toilet fearful I had actually filled my pyjamas.
Fortunately I hadn’t.

8 Likes

Living, not existing!

1 Like

Dessie Farrell

Where’s @choco when you need him?

1 Like

It’d be something something Galway hurling something

1 million listeners a month? That just can’t be true.

1 Like

Agreed. Surely not.

Must be based on 250,000 listens per week as opposed to 1m individual listeners

The 2 Johnnies on 2FM was never going to last long

Una Mullally

RTÉ’s 2FM faced yet another controversy last week when new recruits The 2 Johnnies – a successful podcast that 2FM brought in to fill a three-hour daytime slot in its programming – was admonished publicly, politically and professionally within and outside RTÉ. A video clip of their podcast recording, featuring the presenters reading out sexist car sticker slogans, also featured a promotion for their 2FM show. The presenters were then taken off air, just three days into their new gig. What a mess. But what did 2FM expect?

The excuse around context is valid in some ways. The presenters weren’t themselves inventing sexist slogans. They were repeating existing slogans. But that’s an excuse, not a justification. The presenters’ defence – that they were reading out slogans listeners had sent in and then labelling them “too far” or “scandalous”, and that this somehow provides a valid context for laughing, even in faux shock, about equating women to tyres and using the slur of “slut” – is disingenuous. It’s not as if they had decided to do some kind of campaign against sexist car stickers (which would be a rather odd and boring endeavour). They were reading them out for the purpose of hand-over-the-mouth “I shouldn’t be laughing at this” sad edginess, titillation, and to inhabit the kind of flat terrain that plagues Irish talk radio more generally, and presumably also the very tired reason 2FM hitched their wagon to them: the idea that everything can be slotted into two categories, “gas” or “banter”.

Bigger picture

The 2 Johnnies podcast is not to my taste, and that’s fine. There’s no point raging against something popular just because you’re not the audience. Each to their own. But for 2FM, there is a bigger picture being missed. The 2 Johnnies’ brand of banter is already successful. They have their own outlet with their podcast and live shows, and a large fan base.

So the question for 2FM is: what are the pair doing on the station? For me, the “shock” surrounding the incident is not that this is the flavour and brand of The 2 Johnnies’ humour – which they’re entitled to have, no matter how silly or offensive anyone who’s not interested in this finds it – but that they would continue to have their podcast after securing a very high-profile presence on RTÉ. Surely 2FM’s exclusivity to The 2 Johnnies brand would have been a smart prerequisite? Otherwise, a podcast known for basic, low-brow banter is effectively out of the station’s control, while its content is now simultaneously tied to the station, given that they are also broadcasting under the 2FM brand.

The situation reveals an odd commissioning tactic. Why is it that 2FM didn’t look to their own talent, develop their own ideas, nurture something that feels elevated rather than in the gutter, for daytime programming? Why was there no concern, in this age of scrutiny, that this situation was inevitable? In fact, if anything, the likelihood of a controversy emerging was well signposted. The 2 Johnnies began their week on 2FM with a sort of “I can’t believe we’ve been let in here” giddiness.

When their 2FM show was announced, it felt as though even the new RTÉ presenters themselves realised it was a bit of a curveball destined to smack someone in the face. At the time, The 2 Johnnies said, “It’s uncharted waters for us, but we look forward to trying not to crash every day. We’re going to try stuff, it won’t always run smooth, but you won’t want to miss it.” Not exactly the words of people who were ready for the level of scrutiny and editorial oversight needed for joining RTÉ’s ranks.

Dan Healy, the head of 2FM, clearly knew it too. Healy was quoted as saying “we are chasing a younger audience” and “we have The 2 Johnnies coming, which is really exciting and it sounds a bit odd really, but they are bringing an Irishness to the station”. What a strange thing to say. First of all, the idea that the head of a station would admit to “chasing a younger audience” really puts the rudderlessness of 2FM centre stage. Where are the ideas? Where is the strategy? You don’t chase audiences that aren’t yours, you grow ones that connect with you through producing quality and compelling programming.

Labelling new recruits as “odd” was ultimately accurate. But it raises the question: if the head of the station already knew this was an incongruous match-up, then why hire them? And then the remark about “Irishness”. What does that mean? I’d love for Healy to explain that. Are other presenters not making Irish radio? Or having Irish conversations? It’s a bizarre thing to say.

Ultimately, this embarrassing incident is not the fault of The 2 Johnnies. They’re doing what they’re doing. The fault lies with Healy and 2FM management. The broadcaster and DJ Jenny Greene was taken out of this slot to make room for The 2 Johnnies. 2FM recently found itself in another controversy, when they cut loose the popular broadcaster Louise McSharry, who was making excellent programming that was actually of a standard, and growing her audience. What on earth is going on in the upper echelons of the station that they’re in this phase of ridiculous, avoidable, rolling controversies?

We’re they planning on continuing the Podder or were they to be exclusive to 2FM
Sounds like they’re better out of it

1 Like

Una should be given the gig

It’s the “ afternoon zoo with Una”

Looking for compelling programming on 2fm is a bit odd

Podcast x 2 (One is on Patreon) and the 2fm gig

and right there we have mulallys reason for the entire article. una also being economical with the truth about mcsharry growing her audience

" Louise McSharry, who recently announced her departure from the station, recorded 104,000 listeners on Saturday mornings, with 72,000 tuning in on Sunday mornings.

In last year’s figures, she had an audience of 113,000 on Saturdays and 97,000 on Sundays."

5 Likes