The Pretend Fitness 2 - the Turkish Get Up Thread

I could have been a contender

2 Likes

I hadn’t played in a few years since school, then in late 2019, a fella who’d been playing a bit competitively up in Dublin challenged me to a game after he heard a bit about me and was trying to put me in my place… Well I hammered the shit out of him. Played 3 sets up to 21 and the closest he got was a 21-7 defeat… He never asked to play me ever again…

My forehand is unreturnable.

6 Likes

We used to clip a table tennis net onto our dining room table growing up, but my mother put a stop to it when a load of scratches and dents started to appear on the table. How could you become an Olympian against that backdrop? I also got a snooker table one Christmas - not tiny, but not full size, maybe medium size - but it was moved to the garage in early January and there wasn’t enough elbow room to play the full array of shots. These are the challenges people face when growing up in semi-detached houses in provincial towns. No massive games room for us growing up.

8 Likes

There’s one big question I have

Why did ye play to 21, it’s many many years since that was the way,

It must have been great to have a handball alley for a forehead tho? Being able to bring that with you wherever you went must have been magic for your friends and family?

3 Likes
5 Likes

Did he hear who you were on the underground table tennis scene?

Did ye play to the death.

Are you the patches o’houlihan of table tennis?

6 Likes

That was wiff-waff you were playing.

Not since Beijng I’d say, Table tennis is always played to 11*

*except on the underground scene in Dublin where hurlers are also allowed to hand pass a goal

Got it mixed up with badminton scoring

Ah we just said we would.

In school it was always first to 11, winner stays on and if it went 7-0 or 9-1 it was also game over.

2 Likes

We had acres of room below in the sheds but trying to hand cup cows shite out of the pockets on a snooker table is no fun I can tell you.

3 Likes

Makes no sense to me :grinning:

You just decided to use the 20 year old scoring system which absolutely everybody agrees was a load of shit, especially for one sided encounters.

It’s a strange story made even more so by this revelation. I’ll batter you at table tennis some time if you fancy it, we have tables on our school so I can stay sharp :grinning:

I thought you said there was no infrastructure and here you had a table tennis table at school.

Motivation GIF by GEICO

We were both traditionalists when it comes to scoring systems.

Like the Fightclub of Table Tennis

2 Likes

TFK needs to organise a Table Tennis Tournament.

Somewhere in the south east or in Limerick or Clare preferably.

2 Likes

The infrastructure just isn’t there.

@Bandage can your mother cater for a few weirdos in the kitchen for a table tennis deathmatch

2 Likes

There’s an outdoor one in the children’s playground in Pallaskenry.Kyle Hayes could be the ref

4 Likes