The Pretend Fitness Thread

I’ve run a 2.55 marathon and a 17.05 5k.

6 Likes

Your times do not make you an expert on preparation for either. It means you are a good runner. I don’t know your training or Biomechanics but it’s untirely possible you are genetically predisposed to doing good times. And in turn possible if you rely on volume and genetics that someone like me would help you run faster.

Really standard athlete delusion there.

It’s only your personal experience. Now 90% of what you did is probably standard.

What was the last distance you did where you really went for it and what was your training program?

Yeah but they were probably tough runs for you. @Tassotti would do that in his sleep.

3 Likes

I followed no training programme. 5k time was off the back of marathon training. Picked up bits and pieces over the years from reading boards (you should start a thread on the running forum there on training).

Oooofffttt

Well all things being even (as in you are not talking about 10 years ago) I would bring down your time.

Obviously a good runner with suitable limb length and muscle fibre type will do a good 5km off Marathon training compared to the rest of us.

That’s just logical

Your view is completely biased. Bit unbelievably common.

But even this place wouldn’t compare to the running Nazi’s on forums like that if I did such a thing

1 Like

Thanks pal. I’ll run @19:35 5k next week. It is 90% psychology

1 Like

You are doing serious clipping at that pace. Fair dues.

The winner in Adare today was Sean Hehir . Dublin City marathon winner and Irish worlds participant. He did it in 31:22. Unrealable time TBF.

1 Like

Taking on Fenners about running. Dig up Kev

3 Likes

I cant believe I drove through Adare twice today without knowing there was a 10k on and breezed through it. I should still be stuck in traffic.

His auld lad hurled for Clare back in the day

1 Like

What are you on about?

He just admitted not having a clue about training and he got there thru genetics and will.

And fair play to him. That admirable.

He did?

1 Like

He did.

Extremely obviously too

From kilkishan I believe.tis some moving either way. Averaging 3:07 for ten km .

There’s a couple of lads in the tri club who can run that time in a triathlon. They seem to do 10k at a pace I could barely sprint.
Anyhow, what I picked up from “the lore of running”, a book I’d recommend to anyone, is that marathon times are improved by training for shorter faster distances, rather than vice versa, though there is obviously some crossover either way.
I could easily see how marathon training would slow a 5 or 10k time, due to fatigue, rather than any alteration in running technique or whatever.
@fenwaypark (as well as being a thoroughly decent person) is, I suspect a naturally very talented runner. I suspect that with specific training with a good athletic club, he could improve both his short and long distance times.
This is an aside, as I wanted to post that I have developed after starting to run about 30k a week (having not run at all for two years, bar the park run with the kids) a very sore part on the top of my left foot. Has anyone experienced similar? I don’t think it’s shoe related, and am worried about a so called stress fracture, but I have no idea, I’m enjoying my running, and I don’t really want to rest.
(I’ve tried all variants of thumb and :hole:)

Could be tying laces too tight and hitting a nerve. If you can jump up and down without bad pain, it is not a stress fracture.

Had something similar one time and it was infact the way I was lacing my shoes. Would you try or have you tried changing the heel lock ? Or tying your runners to the right ? I am aware you are fairly sure it’s not a runner issue btw.

Running is very bad for ye lads.

3 Likes

It feels more like a deep bruise. It’s sore when I press it and the pain seems to be in the middle of the bone underneath the tendon running into my big toe. I wonder actually if it might be an inflamed tendon.