The Pretend Fitness Thread

I’ll try that, and try changing runners again.
Thanks to you both.

Most of my PBs have been in the middle of marathon training. 10 mile being the exception.

1 Like

Yes but that’s likely because you just upped your running. I think kev is mostly right, in that if you trained properly and specifically for a 5 or 10k, and put into that the same level of effort as you do into marathon training, you’d probably go quicker again.
Tim Noakes always reckoned that marathon times would drop as 5 and 10k international athletes moved towards it, in that the speed training was ideal preparation in general. You’d have to put the raula padcliffe marginal gains, and the odd individual aside, but in general, that’s what he wrote.

Definitely bad for certain lads. I usually buckle up with injuries once I up the distance on hard surfaces. Probably poor technique, sitting 50 hours a week etc…

1 Like

Definitely more running but no 5k/10k specific plans I’ve seen recommend 20/22 mile long runs. Always running on tired legs when marathon training so you would expect that to slow you down if anything. No tapering before any of these races either.

1 Like

He went quicker last year. I did my 10k PB at Adare last year (I’m a plodder so it was around 44 mins). I was in middle of marathon training and everything was going well until about a week or 2 later when I started getting IT band trouble that I didn’t shake until a few months post marathon.

I just reckon that if an average person put the same time into 5 or 10k specific training as they did to marathon training, not only would they be quicker over the short course, the training would actually cross over better, based on what I’ve read. I’ve never trained for short races, running for enjoyment, and just upping to an odd 18 mile run before a marathon.
Those were different days however.

I believe the stuff I read here and elsewhere is the reason many half decent lads do not keep running till 50/60.

The training.

The Thing is lads, once you have done 1 marathon and done a good volume based prep in a layered fashion then you should never have to reach that kinda volume again.

It’s what I call the Davy Fitz effect. That was again good base we built last year. Now let’s do it again. But you cannot keep going to the well.

Building your energy systems is critical to performance in any sport. Aerobic capacity is critical to marathon runnine. As is Biomechanics.
But aerobic capacity once built is hard to lose. Totally different to speed which deteriorates again fter 5 days or Max Strength which is 14-21 days

2 Likes

Missing point entirely. Rintinin is training for a marathon and suggested that this is making him slower over shorter distances. That is wrong, as he should improve pbs at these distances off back of marathon training. This is a fact.

Now if he was training solely for a 5k race and was doing more specific sessions for this distance then the time he would achieve would be better than off back of what he can achieve from marathon training.

My heel has been fucked for a year — But i’ve just run it off – it no longer hurts when active but can be pretty sore when I wake up or after exercise.

You wont hear me going on about it tho.

What you are saying though is running improves running.

If coming from a low base then yes Marathon training will improve all running bar probably acceleration and max speed.

But context is needed. A history of the athlete is needed. Their training age. Previous experience and volume. Body composition and recent changes.

So you could be right. But you could be wrong too

Why do the top marathon runners continue to run 100 mile plus weeks? Doesn’t seem to be any drop off in their training cycles.

Because that’s what they always did.

Alot if them do more complex training now though so I do not think that’s entirely true anymore.

But always beware of the “top” guys. Most of these are east Africans with a different culture and body type.

But in general athletics is scientifically miles behind. I am on the track regularly and the and get profile of coaches says alot.

Technically and experience wise they have lots to give. Programming though is way off.

I have a 400M runner who I got from a post clinical rehab of ACL. Still within rehab time between her effort and the programming of myself and physio she has run her fastest ever stop watch 400.

1. She was not strong enough in 1st place and did very little weights ever (yet top 3 I ireland underage)
  2. She ran extremely tense. Hot her to relax and her Biomechanics changed.

This is real low hanging fruit stuff for an s&c coach. I’m not bragging. The girl herself is the main reason.

But same coach for 18 ish years probably could not see wood from trees.

The resistance to modern evidence based training is striking in athletics. Although some clubs have moved on.

The stuff out there for your ordinary bloke is bordering on dangerous. Often given out by athletes themselves or the biggest curse, athlete physios who rarely take I to account where people are coming from or their body shape

Not missing the point, maybe expressing myself badly.
Any running training will improve running times overall.
Running 5 and 10 k races in the middle of a heavy block of marathon training will not give most people an optimal performance. If he had tapered he would have gone faster, all else being equal.
From what I’ve gleaned at least

It depends on what his pb is, and under what circumstances that was set v

Watching a video clip of Liverpool v West Ham on YouTube and you can see James Collins drinking redbull before the warm up about 30 or so mins before kick off…

Normal enough @caoimhaoin? Thought pro ballers wouldn’t touch that stuff.

It has less effect in a negative way on very fit people, arguably.

It’s probably just habit.

It does have a hangover in it though so possibly questionable alright

I find a coffee about 1 hour to 45 mins before ball / cardio is great.

1 Like

Espresso 15-20 mins previous has been shown to improve performance

I get woeful abuse for cracking out the Nespresso machine during team talks

6 Likes