The Public Transport Thread

It has the same amt of stops as the luas does on green line. Its replacing it from charlemont to Sandyford

You are incorrect. It is not the LUAS Green Line anymore.

How?

Fair enough. I’m going back to watching the cricket. I’ll re-engage with this in 10 years time if it is built.

1 Like

Because it will no longer use light rail on that track. Its not adding an additional mode of transport in the location. Its replacing luas with metro. When luas is already there it seems bizarre to me that they wouldnt go a different route with the metro to maximize public transport options

2 Likes

It wont be built

I can picture the scene

1 Like

Even more reason to not bother my arse trying to work out how different lines will intersect.

1 Like

Also. How long will that stretch of luas be out of action for whilst this is built?

How is it redundant?

The works required aren’t as substantial as starting from dot.

The reason why Terenure et al are not being given one is because it is so urbanized and narrow that it would be incredibly expensive to go overground and underground is underground expensive.

Thankfully CIÉ kept a lot of the old Harcourt Street Line so when the Green Line was built the effort wasn’t that substantial.

The plan was ALWAYS to make the Sandyford stretch heavy rail.

Do people on this thread have no idea about integrated transport? Moaning about having to to change a train or tram when it is all going to be high frequency?

and @Rocko getting annoyed in the front

Its not integrated for that stretch. Its replacement. It will never happen.

It is upgrading ffs.

I have already posted about the capacity issues with the Luas Green Line. Trams cannot do what heavy duty rail can do.

It is integrated. When you have high frequency and high capacity transport modes interlinking that is exactly what integrated means.

Why are people so afraid of changing trains and buses? Have any of you lived in major cities?

Im not in the slightest. I just think it is a massive waste of money to run this line where there is a perfectly acceptable option, albeit with capacity issues. Huge swathe of of South dublin between the green and red lines will still be without any rail option. You can talk about orbital buses all you want but it won’t convince me replacing the light rail on this stretch is a better option

Sorry can you answer capacity issue? It isn’t a minor little thing.

They are being lengthened to their max and that will not be sufficient.

Sandyford is turning into a massive urban area in its own right. Cherrywood is growing with 30k additional people slated to live there.

Long trams are not the answer for bringing that many people in the city in.

As for “redundant” costs. There is a thing called sunk costs. If it isn’t good enough, you go again. With the Charmlemont-Sandyford stretch the costs are not that substantial due to the existing free track and pieces like the Sandyford terminus there.

Splicing off to Terenure direction would be nice but I’ve already outlined the issues. A Luas track would be great for there due to the short distance to the city but in terms of feasibility this was thrown out as financially unrealistic 10 years ago. It isn’t like the Green Line where large swathes of the old Harcourt Line space were still there. It isn’t like the Red Line where out to the likes of Tallaght you have some larger road spaces that you could fit something in. The likes of Harold’s Cross, Rathmines, Rathgar and Terenure have lots of narrow roads. The QBCs in places like this are already not fit for purpose.

The costly part of the Metro is going to be the underground section and through places like Glasnevin. That is what you are proposing for going to somewhere like Terenure.

You do seem to be afraid of integrated public transport as I already said we should be funneling more people to the High capacity and high frequency lines using our bus system. For example if we ever got DART Underground and this Metro you could have looping buses throughout the north and south of the city linking people to these lines.

What kind of a Dub are you? Veronica Guerin buried in Dardistown cemetery iirc.

Am I supposed to know where people are buried now? :laughing:

Never heard of the place Mike, must have passed it hundreds of times yet don’t recall ever seeing it on a street sign.

I’m Sesame Street and I’ve heard of it.

Is the Irish Rail website the worst pile of shite ever ? Fucking hell I’ve tried to book a journey there now and I’ve ended up having to ring them. I’m not IT savvy but this cunting thing is impossible.

1 Like

It’s what happens when you give Unions some power

2 Likes