The Public Transport Thread

Bad driving cause accidents, not the fucking road.

Just slow and be patient

No.

We know what the truth is. And it’s not anyway related to the lettuce shutters agenda.

The figure is from TFI mate

I can do that myself but I don’t think it’s easy to get that message to the morons that also use the road

This is factually incorrect. It’s the other way around, Bus Éireann got €58m and Dublin Bus got €40m in PSO payments. I also believe that Bus Éireann enjoys the lucrative schools contract along with the being given the commercial scope to run Expressway routes. The fact that they made a balls of it is a another matter, they had the ability to operate it and make a profit to subsidise the rest of the operation.

1 Like

Where is the figure? Copper has posted up the information on the website. It doesn’t have end to end just points in the road.

Are there stats to back that up?

Do you think those morons will behave better on a motorway at higher speeds?

if the figure was 3000 per day, would you accept that 3bn was was a waste of money?

Just checked online and the schools contract is worth €225m per annum these days. This would appear to be the lions share of the commercial revenue. Bus Éireann therefore appear to be nearly 75% funded by the State.

It’s well know that the schools contract is very lucrative. It is a political hangover from the closure of rooral schools back in the day. I wonder how the legal challenge to the EU over it is going and I’m sure a private operator would love to get it.

I can’t find exact stats on that stretch but a Google of Mallow to buttervant road deaths brings up a lot of articles. The section in particular is called ballybeg. I’m not sure if you have ever travelled it but have a look on Google maps. The speed limit is 80 but tbh I take it at 60 in good conditions.

“Worst week on Cork roads ever? Timeline of tragedy as four lives lost and more injured in crashes - Cork Beo” https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/worst-week-cork-roads-ever-17795289

“LIVE: Fatal crash on N20 causes gardai to close road between Buttevant and Mallow - Cork Beo” https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/live-serious-crash-n20-causes-17773539.amp

“TheJournal.ie - Two people in their 70s die in crash in Cork” TheJournal.ie - Two people in their 70s die in crash in Cork

“Man dies in Cork following three-car collision | JOE is the voice of Irish people at home and abroad” Man dies in Cork following three-car collision | JOE.ie

You can stay out of their way easier. I get a good kick seeing a blue light flying out after the cunts

Not a waste of money. It may reach 3bn if we keep wasting time by not building it. Current estimate is half that. Yes I accept its ireland.

Paywalled

Revised Dublin transport plan sees costs double to €25bn and rail projects delayed

Dart underground line is shelved until 2042, no tram lines will be built within next decade

Dublin’s Dart underground line has been shelved for at least 20 years, and no new train or tram lines will built within the next decade, according to an updated National Transport Authority (NTA) strategy for the capital.

The cost of implementing the Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy for the next 20 years has more than doubled from €10.3 billion to €25 billion.

However, planned major rail projects including Luas lines to Finglas, Lucan, Poolbeg and Bray, as well as the Metro and Navan rail lines are not expected to be delivered until after 2031, with the long-awaited Dart underground excluded from the 20 year programme.

The strategy sets out proposals for improving bus provision, cycling and pedestrian infrastructure, as well as the road network, but its central focus is on the expansion of rail.

While planning permission for the Metrolink line from Swords and Dublin Airport to the city will be sought next year, the line is not expected to operate until after 2031, according to the strategy.

In addition to the four Luas lines also due to be delivered post 2031, planning and design work will be undertaken on eight more Luas routes to Clongriffin, Balgriffin, Tyrellstown, Blanchardstown, Clondalkin, Tallaght / Kimmage, Tallaght / Knocklyon and UCD/ Sandyford. However, no construction is due to take place on these lines before 2042.

Hopes were this year revived for the Dart Underground line, shelved a decade ago following the economic crash, when it emerged the NTA had engaged consultants to devise route options for the line.

However, the line linking Heuston Station to the Dart line by tunnelling under the city via St Stephen’s Green, will also not be built before 2042 with the NTA committing instead to “preserve and protect an alignment to allow its future delivery subsequent to the strategy period”.

Also axed from the strategy is the Eastern Bypass. The road, which in previous transport strategies involved an extension of the M50 under Sandymount Strand, has been consistently opposed by Dublin politicians.

It is “not proceeding” the NTA said, but a “South Port Access Route which will link from the national road network at the Dublin Tunnel to serve the south port lands and adjoining areas is included” it said.

The transport strategy, which is update every five years has a stronger focus on walking and cycling measures than previously, with an aspiration to provide “traffic free streets” in town centres where there are “benefits to transport and/or the local environment / economy”.

As well as increasing cycle infrastructure, the expansion and “interoperability” of bike sharing schemes and the ability to bring bikes on public transport, which is currently very limited, is proposed.

There will be “no significant increase in capacity for private car trips” on radial roads within the metropolitan area, except where re-alignments or junction changes are necessary for safety reasons, it said, while road schemes will be designed to provide “safe and appropriate arrangement to facilitate walking, cycling and public transport provision”.

Speed limits will be reduced and variable limits introduced, along with car-free zones, and a “reduction in Public Sector Parking in City Centre” the report said.

Thanks

The transport strategy, which is update every five years has a stronger focus on walking and cycling measures than previously, with an aspiration to provide “traffic free streets” in town centres where there are “benefits to transport and/or the local environment / economy”.

As well as increasing cycle infrastructure, the expansion and “interoperability” of bike sharing schemes and the ability to bring bikes on public transport, which is currently very limited, is proposed.

There will be “no significant increase in capacity for private car trips” on radial roads within the metropolitan area, except where re-alignments or junction changes are necessary for safety reasons, it said, while road schemes will be designed to provide “safe and appropriate arrangement to facilitate walking, cycling and public transport provision”.

3 Likes

Seeing as they’re not going ahead with these urban vanity projects they can start the M20 then.

1 Like

They can’t even get a cycle Lane into Sandymount they were never going to get a motorway underneath it.

3 Likes