The Public Transport Thread

29.99 punts to get the Slatterys bus on the Quay in Waterford to London Victoria in 1985. Bus had come from Tralee, so was already 5 hours on the road before it got to Waterford. Went from Rosslare to Fishguard. British police in Fishguard searched the bus and everything and everyone on it. They must have got a tip off. Anyway hours later we were on our way.

I stayed in a boarding house in Cricklewood with a pal of mine that worked over there.

On the return journey I got home at 11 in the morning turned out for my last championship match with Cnoc Sion at 2, we were beaten and I was hooked. I could barely keep my eyes open.

4 Likes

Sure you probably would have been quicker going to London.

1 Like

There’s any number of buses you’d get down the country already that’ll bring you direct to the airport without having to set foot in Dublin.

I’m in favour of this project though as the Mater stop will be fierce handy for The Hut CC @Batigol

2 Likes

at least on the london bus you had a cigarette break on the boat and also in newport pagnell, both of which are preferable to monaghan

Slattery’s Coaches, you’d get it in Carrick on Suir for £30. The brother and sister did the trip for summer work back in the mid/late 80s. We didn’t have a phone so we’d go into Piles’ house (posh townie) to ring them once a week.

We used to do reverse the charges calls to phone boxes in London. The emigrant would send you a letter with the number of the call box and the the time to phone and we’d ring from a call box here. It was an ingenious scam.

2 Likes
1 Like

Bray Air show is on today, I’d say it was fairly rammed when it happened

You have to hand it to eamon he has the magic touch when it comes to transport. https://media.tenor.com/images/f208715ad085b6a2dfefbd0d6d605284/tenor.gif?c=VjFfbWljcm9zb2Z0X3N3aWZ0a2V5X2FuZHJvaWQ

Thats an operational matter

Are you right there Michael are you right?

2 Likes

Have you got the parcel there for Mrs White?

What about all the lovely greenways we have now?

@Julio_Geordio this is the direct Limerick to Cork train line at Garrienderk

2 Likes

Pretty much the same all over the world.

People act like Todd Andrews and the governments of the day were evil bastards for closing public transport.

It closed because people stopped using it as they preferred their cars. They mostly still do, the data on mobility post Covid shows it.

All match and concert tickets should include free public transport on the day of same

Cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

6 Likes

Cut it to €1
Police public transport properly

Reclaim our cities from thugs and cars.

4 Likes

Already a greenway sure

1 Like

Yes, went to the lions game and its free public transport for all ticketholders

2 Likes