The Public Transport Thread

Park and ride is a 2000 mentality. Parking spaces are a waste around good transport modes.

This is about serving a new neighbourhood of upwards of 5k people.

@Mac wants the low density housing around train stations to be replaced with car parks so muldoons can drive there from their stand alone houses in the middle of nowhere

7 Likes

theres also wexford bus nearly every 30 mins in the morning from gorey right into the city centre which is quicker than the train so no need for him to use the car at all

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/BrianLeddin/status/1724912897137025437?t=-pjizu-B9notWXa6jknscA&s=19

1 Like

Only losers take the bus.

Great stuff. Only takes an hour and a quarter more than driving

2 Likes

Is it true that some of the purposed new train stations in cork have been cut?

Which new stations mate

Rumour i heard was that they wont be building the station in blarney

Can @Fagan_ODowd calculations be fact checked please

2 Likes

You sure?

1 Like

No need for motorway if its such a quick drive

3 Likes

Cant see anything online about it

It’s a 1hr 21 minute drive from station to station.

It’s 1hr 37 on the train as per Mr Leddin

Do the sums again there bucko

1 Like

Ok, so in his rush to criticise he messed up

Yeah the train is FAR slower than the car but not as slow as @Fagan_ODowd suggested

1 Like

I messed up in my rush to criticize.

2 Likes

Not online word of mouth… would be very disappointing if true

1 Like

I was talking about general access to the city via the Dart for anyone living South of Greystones. There’s no chance to upgrade the Dart line so the most practical thing is to let people drive to a station closest to the motorway. This would take cars out of South Dublin and M50 congestion. Bus routes are grand for people living in towns and who want to get to the city centre but fuck all use for anyone working say in Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock.

I agree with the sentiment that Park and ride is an outdated concept, on the basis of a functioning rail system. As I’ve said many times before, the rail line south of Bray is a joke and there’s no feasible way to improve it without ripping if up and re-laying it along a different route