The Public Transport Thread

Is it a direct train or does it involve a change at Limerick junction?

All Limerick - Cork change at the junction. But about 50% of Limerick - Dublin trains are direct.

Yeah but you are risking life and limb coming down the notorious N20. Whereas a train will only come unstuck in Buttevant once in a blue moon.

2 Likes

Us East Limerick lads dont know how lucky we are to be close to Mitchelstown and the M8

1 Like

That’s what Maggie Thatcher said

The direct line is gone since the 60’s. It will make a lovely cycle track some time

Very little of it in public hands as it did not follow the road and has been taken over by the landholders. I know a few sections of it.

The car trip from Colbert to Kent is 1hr 29mins right now per Google maps.

They should move closer to the city then.

They’re a secondary concern.

Sure why didn’t I think of that, everyone should just live in the city. Can’t believe that’s never been thought of before :roll_eyes:

They’re a secondary concern, I’m just being realistic. We need to build more along the existing train lines we have available and buses can bring them there is that’s their preference.

The route 131 looks perfect.

A 1 hour bus journey from Wicklow to Bray :joy:

The prehistoric trainline gives you the option to do that journey in 25 mins (only 2-3 times a day though) and you’d drive it in around 20ish mins too.

That’s the line at Garrienderk bridge

The bridges are still place along the route over a railway that is no longer there, the most obvious one being the weird road arrangement where you would turn off for Fedamore from Croom.

There’s a road into a housing estate built on where I think it would have passed through Bruree.

1 Like

Loads of new Bus Connects options coming too.

Again, a secondary concern. We already have wasted large portions of the DART line. No more.

Correct . Also section of it now public road in Banogue.

@Mac doesnt understand that people in urban areas deserve more services than people who live in the back of beyond

#towncentrefirst

My suggestion was to expand something built for a small portion of suburbanites to also cater for a large portion of commuters.

Dublin City is bursting at the seams and can barely handle the population it already has. And you and the other lad believe the solution is that more people should move to the city. A bizarre thought process

1 Like

#Dublinisfull

Woodbrook has a large graveyard and a golf course hugging it.

It is already a massive waste of land beside a rapid transit mode.

You want a car park put there. With the space allotted to a massive car park you propose, I’m going to guess we could fit maybe 1000 spaces at a push. This would basically be a massive subsidy for people who decided to live so far south over the people who can’t get a place to buy or rent right now.

By building a neighbourhood there, we use our existing infrastructure and discourage sprawl. We get 5,000+ people living there

We need to stop building so much south of Greystones really anyway.

Regardless, both Bus Connects and the LUAS to Bray will be big improvements for Wicklow transport.

1 Like

Dublin “bursting at the seems” is also a nonsense.

We still have large greenfield sites beside rapid transport modes that can be built on (Woodbrook is just one example).

We also have Metrolink on the way that will open up North Dublin development for years to come. All in a far more sustainable manner than those who wanted their semi country retreat with all the benefits of living in a city like so many down Gorey direction.