The Public Transport Thread

I know a few people who commute to the Drogheda area from Dublin. They’ve switched away from the train since the bridge was shut and didn’t switch back.

Much of this is to do with shit parking facilities and the fact that the trains are well outside certain towns and miles from other estates. Not the same problem with the private buses which just follow demand. Bus Éireann are more obliged to stick to traditional routes, they can’t just divert to a housing estate because there’s suddenly demand.

I’d imagine that the tunnel is a big help in the morning as well for those buses. Probably takes half an hour off the journey.

my house on millionaires row to town is now 25 minutes thanks to dublin bus going through the tunnel- brilliant service in fairness- from smack bang in the middle of one county to another in peak hour - still cycling is the way to go though

KOH
NCC

Big snub for Wexford and for Waterford Town. This is the type of thing Cian Foley would be up in arms over.

Rosslare-Waterford line to close

TIM O’BRIEN

Rail services on the Rosslare to Waterford line are set to close within weeks, following this afternoon’s decision by the National Transport Authority to approve Irish Rail plans for closure.

The transport authority said the route would replaced by an “enhanced bus service”, adding more than 80 bus-based round trips per week. The authority said this would deliver “significant transport improvements” along the route.

Campaign group Rail Users Ireland said it regretted the closure and criticised the business case put forward by Irish Rail. The group said it had active interest from three separate bodies seeking to run trains on the route.

The National Transport Authority said the current rail service was not viable with an annual operating cost €1.9 million and fewer than 50 passengers using the service each way. This was just just 20 per cent of actual maximum capacity, it said. The authority also pointed out that fare income amounts to just €50,000 per year.

Bus Éireann will now to develop a network of replacement bus services for people living, working and travelling in the area at a considerably reduced cost to the State. Fares on these new bus services are being maintained at the same levels for the displaced rail passengers.

The authority said Irish Rail will be contractually obliged to ensure that the rail line is maintained in place to enable a reinstatement of services if transport demand and economic circumstances should improve sufficiently in the future. An asset management regime has to be implemented by Irish Rail and will be audited by the National Transport Authority.

I was on a 66 going down the Quays at about half past 7 today. There was quite heavy traffic. The driver decided to pull into an outside lane and promptly drove into a tree, shattering the upper windscreen. He was black. A couple of Tipp kids then started playing the Premier Rap very loudly on whatever audio playing device they had. Lovely.

Sold my car so I’m back on public transport for a week or two. Was trying to get from Ranelagh to the IFSC this morning, a distance of about 2.7 miles and it was an absolute nightmare, ending up walking it, being late and turning up to a training course drenched in sweat. This city is a joke compared to any other capital city in Europe.

I dont understand why people living and working in the capital have cars anyway, it’s surely quicker by bike to navigate around.

That’s a peasants way of travelling.

Also a bike wouldn’t be an option for a certain forum member :lol:

I always found the 11 to be a decent and reliable service when I lived in Ranelagh. Short walk from Westmoreland St to IFSC then.

How was a walk from Ranelagh to the IFSC a nightmare?

Man up Tinnion.

The bicycle is the noblest form of transport. It’s the only way to travel in this city.

:clap:
Good oldfashioned walking is also efficient.

Luas to the Green - 15 min walk to Abbey st. Another Luas to IFSC. Whats so nightmarish about that?

cycling is the only option

Anyone here an experienced Iarnroid Eireann user

I have a return train ticket booked for 7 pm this evening but I should have all my business completed in the capital by lunchtime and am hoping to get the 2pm or 3.15pm train. There doesn’t seem to be an option to edit or amend my ticket on their website, are they non-transferable meaning that I either have to wait around til 7 pm for the train I booked or will I have to purchase a new ticket

If it’s not full you should be ok. Just ask at the counter in Heuston / Connolly and you’ll be alright. If you have a seat booked you mightn’t be able to transfer that though.

What Mac said. They’ll be happy enough to move you off the seven train which is always packed. How much did you pay for the ticket? If theres a difference they might charge you that.

60 notes for the return, have a seat booked alright, might just bite the bullit and pay the 30 notes for the earlier train

Why bother? They’ll probably let you on the earlier train for free.