The Racism thread

It’s very sad to see lads in their 30s and 40s look for this fellas life to be ruined. We all make mistakes Anyway. In fact wright should have gone to the guards/police and then shared it if he had it confirmed it was indeed this fella who actually sent the messages. Is coon a very unusual term to use? I haven’t heard it before.

Coon is a very racist term.

A favourite of the KKK.

Maybe the young fella is in Stormfront?

I have never heard it used before. Would it be unusual for an Irish lad of that age to use the term?

If they’re racist then I’m sure they’ll know the connotations.

It’s a derogatory term , none of us perfect but fuck me it wouldn’t be in my vocabulary, American term, never heard it used in Ireland, heard black bastard, paki etc but not regularly, never heard it in 20 years in tbe 6 counties,
Twas all Brit bastards/ orange/ fenian etc

Yes I’ve never heard it used either. It would be usual surely for somebody to use in Kerry of all places?

Exposed to too much American crap

Twitter is a fucking cesspit. The lad is an idiot and should not have done what he has done. No excuses.

However the Twitter mob are like Cowboys chasing Buffalo off a cliff.

Next week they’ll focus on mental health, suicide and #bekind without any self awareness that they could be a catalyst for self harm/suicide.

11 Likes

People rush to judgment too much. This lad could be innocent. It seems a very random and unusual outburst. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt and let the guards handle it unlike fellas on here who want his life ruined.

1 Like

Yes and this could mess up that boy big-time aswell, he looks young

Even if he’s proven innocent now the damage is done. The mob have decided he’s guilty and that’s it.

I don’t think hate speech is on the books here as a crime. He’ll be charged with harassment or something like that if anything. I’m sure @artfoley will be along soon to clarify.

5 Likes

I’d a similar situation two months ago and was totally innocent but I could hardly sleep with the fear. I hope if he is innocent everyone apologises.

1 Like

Agreed. You have Piers Morgan blaming the parents and the school. I have no experience rearing teenagers but it cant be easy. I’d imagine more than a few think their parents are muppets. With social media and falling into the wrong company exacerbated by booze and drugs its easy to see how they can go astray. Dragging the GAA club and the school into it is not right. Twitter mob have gone after the parents now as well.

2 Likes

Must have been difficult proving your account was hacked with so many people having access to the account.

5 Likes

There is an incitement to hatred act but there have never been many if any prosecutions. I think parts of the constitution that uphold freedom of speech are in contravention of the incitement of hatred act. I think they are proposing a new bill to clearly define it. This became very topical last year when there was a mixed race couple on a Lidl/Aldi ad and Gemma O Doherty made racist comments.

What happens if Wright doesn’t make a complaint to the UK authorities?

If any wrongdoing is admitted by this lad, can the Guards still prosecute…?

The twitter mob move quickly (obviously if guilty deserves appropriate punishment)

Jon Ronsons book “so you’ve been publicly shamed” is a very interesting read on the general twitter mob phenomenon

1 Like

His life is ruined even if he’s proven to be innocent.