The Rugby Thread (Part 2)

lol.

Leinster have produced two tight heads of international class in 24 years. Despite having every single advantage.

Unfortunately tough love doesn’t work.

What’s the story with Pa Campbell?

Two?

Furlong and Moore

No harm in that, we can’t produce every position. Strange that we have pushed young McCarthy to the loose head given so much stock there. Porter may well switch back as suggested by Jackman.

Shame we couldn’t take back Jäger but Munster needed another handout.

That’s Luke fitz, Bernard Jackman and Gordon Darcy all echoing my sentiment about the deeply unfair system we’ve in Irish rugby where a tiny cohort of players based in a small few schools have huge advantages.

This podcast is interesting about beating the systems in place. Think it’s Brighton university who are encouraging sports teams to pool players based on physical development and not age.

Maybe ye could sign another cork born prop like Mike Ross.

1 Like

Ah yes. Fairly generous on Moore. Ireland is odd with tightheads, very very few and rely on single exceptional ones. Probably better off now than we have been in a long time.

It doesn’t help when you’ve only four starting spots in a system.

Moore was a very good player fairly sure he got some serious injuries.

Porter has played a lot as international tight head too.

I’m not sure this is the gotcha that you think.

I think a position like scrum half is one where you could be more critical.

Yeah we did well having Ross, Cronin and Reddan for a few years.

That was a product of the 2000s where our underage and Academy system wasn’t working as well at it should.

Those guys helped us to be very successful in Europe and Leinster supporters are grateful.

It would be nice to see reciprocal appreciation for the direction of travel being the other way in the Nucifora era. It isn’t our fault that you have failed to exploit the talent sent your way.

It’s not a unique viewpoint, I’d say it’s generally accepted.

1 Like

I was talking about munsters front rows. Not scrum halves.

It was Leinster. And it was incorrect.

Kitsoff has smashed in, backed up the truck, and filled it

1 Like

I was initially talking about Munsters front rows Tim and you chimed in tough love was required.

And then you said that Leinster had produced two. It was incorrect.

To be fair, Porter was a tighthead before he was moved across to maximise resources. It’s still a small number though.

Top-quality THs are hard to produce. Over the same period is Mike Ross the only other name of note?

He was a loosehead first, they moved him to tighthead and then back. Hayes, Ross and Furlong have started almost all Ireland’s six nations games. Read that Hayes started more than half of them. Bit of a mad stat.

On the topic of looseheads I always found it strange that Denis Buckley stuck around during Schmidt’s tenure. He was at his peak but was blacklisted for off-field antics and surely could’ve cashed in for a bigger payday even for a D2 side.