The Rugby Thread (Part 2)

How long off will the Irish lads get now before they start training for the World Cup?

Yeah maybe not the final squad but definitely the training squad, i remember him playing under 20s and for UCC always thought he was next level. He will be a regular in the near future. Im a big fan hes a solid player

1 Like

Probably a month, ulster/connaught lads might be back earlier than munster and leinster

1 Like

Sexton has been outstanding since 2019. As good a form as heā€™s ever had in his career IMO

3 weeks

But few weeks off here and there before world cup

1 Like

Hes a massive risk but now is not the time to change. No doubt of his ability but ireland need 6 months out him

1 Like

Last year v La Rochelle I thought he couldnā€™t keep up. Heā€™s missed so much rugby since then too I couldnā€™t trust him.

At his age it could go over night from him.

1 Like

I think at times this season heā€™s looked faster than he ever has. He is being extremely selfish with his game time at the moment and id say the entire last 12 months has been about nothing only get 2 months out of him in Septā€¦massive gamble but he is so good you have to take it

He works really well in this system. I wouldnt play murray with him, i think murrays too slow and leaves sexton exposed. JGP or casey needs to play with him

2 Likes

Given the number of good young players they should definitely look at lads over 30 being allowed to play abroad and play for Ireland.

I dont agree with that, leave them go once over 30 and make a mint if they can, saying that i would make it a maximum age in the next world cup year, like 33 in 2027. They should be priority for central contracts. It is a massive gripe of mine that murray is on the money he is and would be 2nd choice for his provisional team now. If you are abroad you cant play for ireland that rule has worked.

Murray is currently first choice for Munster.

Casey fits the munster gameplan plan better, ireland play a very similar gameplan

I was skeptical of Murray for Ireland last year but to be fair to him heā€™s done well in Autumn and 6n. I think heā€™s the firm no 2 at the moment.

What you said is Murray is second choice, he isnā€™t, heā€™s a firm first. Casey has a long way to go I think, good player but heā€™s being overhyped.

Iā€™d say heā€™s number two but could be number two to both Casey and JGP if you get me.

Iā€™d wonder about JGP as well. Invariably in the World Cup it turns into a test of who makes the least mistakes and who has the best defence.

When things get tight Iā€™m not sure JGP is going to work. Heā€™s all about tempo but heā€™s a limited enough player at times. Youā€™d fancy a team to completely shut him down and that could really harm sexton.

Casey is definitely 3 for Ireland. Whatever about JGPā€™s weaknesses, Caseyā€™s size will make him a liability against the likes of SA.

You have Murray for that. Casey is a lesser version of JGP

Stephen Jones picked his best 15 from the last 40 years

You could pick two decent efforts at it and not have one of his team in it

No french player and no springbok

3 Likes

Kearney :rofl:

7 Likes