The Sea the Stars appreciation thread

https://youtu.be/H7Ur9CVtQOA “He accelerates”

2 Likes

10 years ago today he won the eclipse

2 Likes

The GOAT what he did that summer will never be matched

5 Likes

Incredible. Simply unreal. 6 months 6 group ones in 3 countries over a mile, a mile two and a mile four. Simply sensational. It’s a pity kinane went for the whip in the arc he’d have won it without it.

2 Likes

You’ll never see the likes of it again. I was lucky enough to be there for the Irish Champion and the arc

5 Likes

Was it Fame and Glory from Ballydoyle they all talked up as beating him in the Irish Champions takes?
Kinnane laughed at Murtagh when he cantered past him in the final furlong.

1 Like

They threw the kitchen sink at him in the champion, fame and glory and mastercraftsman. Couldn’t put a glove on him

They declared 6 that day. Nothing could get him beat.

1 Like

That roar in Leopardstown that day was the loudest I ever heard in the place. Still sends tingles up my spine. His price wasn’t even that short that day I think.

5 Likes

weren’t the free state soccer team playing some crowd of goat herders that night after the Irish Champion stakes? Jesus we got into an awful state, some session

Possibly playing Cyprus? College Causeway ran rings around Shelbourne Park, I remember that much

https://youtu.be/6PXg8nUK3Rs Coming up on ten years now. What an incredible race horse.

1 Like

…and jockey!

1 Like

Think he won it in 89,99 and 09!

1 Like

Happy fourteenth birthday to sea the stars. I hope they give him a few extra carrots.

2 Likes

I think the greatest thing about sea the stars was how bravely they campaigned him. Has any horse even ran in those six races since not to mind win them? Added to the fact Magnier had treated the owner appallingly and treated kinane poorly as well. It added so much to the story. Kinane must have thought he was done after losing the ballydoyle job. It must grate a tiny bit with Aidan and Magnier that two best horses of the last 30 or so years were nearly there’s but ended up with rivals.

I’ll never forget in the documentary shortly after he retired Oxx was chatting to Kinane about their new crop of 2 year olds and asked him to take a spin on “that fella”. Cut to Kinane and Oxx asked him what he thought when he got off. His understated response was “We’ve got one here”. He knew.

3 Likes

Yep kinane told a great story too after he won the guineas. lester pigott was presenting the trophies and he just leaned into kinane and says “will he stay”.

2 Likes

Kinane reckoned he was only getting going towards the end of his 3 year old career.

The week before the Arc was his best day ever on the gallops.

2 Likes