The Smithwick Tribunal

Could it be that the FG Government of the time tried to down play the bombings as much as possible (and the RUC involvement) as the country was on the brink of Civil War and all hell could have potentially ensued. Also it was now the case that the war was being brought South so a whole new set of circumstances needed to be considered. I am not saying that I fully agree with their actions in not agressively bringing those to justice but that it could be possibly understood given the highly volatile situation at the time.

It’s a bit like those who say that Jack Lynch should have invaded the North in 1969. What good would that have done? Just many more deaths and probably more unreported discrimation for Catholics as it would have been seen that the 26 counties was the agressor. We would have been slaughtered.

Better to be a corpse than a coward.

No way would Eire have been seen as an agressor in 1969. Jack Lynch was a coward, populist and first real anti Republican FF leader.

Farmer your point is well made but in the context of every murder from 40 years ago being brought up to discredit current sitting TD’s I thin the cover up of mass slaughter on a grand scale deserves a little better.

It still doesn’t excuse Gardai special branch beating up victims families for asking questions though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAvxqGnVO2w

There was an RTE program a couple of years ago about the plans to invade the North - essentially they had several talking heads on war-gaming out what our plans were and how the Brits would have responded. The common belief among all is that our effort would have been small, ineffective and blown away by a Brits response. I think the only reason it would have been tried would be to get the UN involved - not sure that would have worked with the Brits on the security council though.

@TreatyStones[/USER] @[USER=1503]His Holiness Da Dalai Lama[/USER] @[USER=1533]glasagusban

This is the problem when your national games amount to ‘just get the thing forward and stop fucking about’- If our governments had been NFL and Fantasy NFL fans we would have drove the Orange bastards out and defeated any incumbent British troops that got in our way with a well thought out war strategy.

a few farmers from Armagh defeated the British army mate, if the whole of Ireland got behind the effort not only would ireland be free but we would have colonized the isle of man and the shetlands

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 869463, member: 1796”]@TreatyStones[/USER] @[USER=1503]His Holiness Da Dalai Lama[/USER] @[USER=1533]glasagusban

This is the problem when your national games amount to ‘just get the thing forward and stop fucking about’- If our governments had been NFL and Fantasy NFL fans we would have drove the Orange bastards out and defeated any incumbent British troops that got in our way with a well thought out war strategy.[/quote]
Ye would have put saucepans on ye’re heads and ran at them.

A new low for you.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 869463, member: 1796”]@TreatyStones[/USER] @[USER=1503]His Holiness Da Dalai Lama[/USER] @[USER=1533]glasagusban

This is the problem when your national games amount to ‘just get the thing forward and stop fucking about’- If our governments had been NFL and Fantasy NFL fans we would have drove the Orange bastards out and defeated any incumbent British troops that got in our way with a well thought out war strategy.[/quote]

Mate, you seemed to have developed a different point of view over the last while. I seem to recall your alter ego being quite vociferous in relation to the IRA’s campaign and the rights of ‘Orange bastards’?

Am I correct?

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 869494, member: 24”]Mate, you seemed to have developed a different point of view over the last while. I seem to recall your alter ego being quite vociferous in relation to the IRA’s campaign and the rights of ‘Orange bastards’?

Am I correct?[/quote]

Pal- that was to flush out the enemy.

I’m a proud Irish man willing to die for the harp, the spud and our Guinness.

No retreat, no surrender.

It’s the self loathing Irish like @The Wild Colonial Bhoy[/USER] @[USER=1533]glasagusban[/USER] @[USER=25]Raymond Crotty[/USER] and @[USER=2272]TheUlteriorMotive that I really hate.

But sadly not for you fantasy NFL types.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 869496, member: 1796”]
It’s the self loathing Irish like @glasagusban that I really hate.[/quote]
Mate, I love myself and the Irish.* And isn’t TWCB Australo-British?

*There are of course many many exceptions and I feel free to hate Irish cunts as well.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 869496, member: 1796”]Pal- that was to flush out the enemy.

It’s the self loathing Irish like @The Wild Colonial Bhoy[/USER] @[USER=1533]glasagusban[/USER] @[USER=25]Raymond Crotty[/USER] and @[USER=2272]TheUlteriorMotive that I really hate.[/quote]

arent you from Limerick, isnt that the part of Eire that surrendered to Cromwell?

:rolleyes:

That’s about the 50th time you’ve pulled out that pal.

You’re from within the pale, mate. What the fuck have your lot ever done? We culchies had to come up and start a revolution and all your mob did was spit on us- particulalrly your women folk, who no doubt enjoyed the benefits of taking a nightly rogering from British soldiers…

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 869496, member: 1796”]Pal- that was to flush out the enemy.

It’s the self loathing Irish like @The Wild Colonial Bhoy[/USER] @[USER=1533]glasagusban[/USER] @[USER=25]Raymond Crotty[/USER] and @[USER=2272]TheUlteriorMotive that I really hate.[/quote]
Self Loathing?
I am pumping our economic come back

It ain’t self loathing to say that during wars/conflicts bad things happen and people break rules and people act in own best interests as they perceive them.

Taking high moral ground misses all those nuances and anybody who can’t recognise that has watched too many goodie and baddie movies.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 869494, member: 24”]Mate, you seemed to have developed a different point of view over the last while. I seem to recall your alter ego being quite vociferous in relation to the IRA’s campaign and the rights of ‘Orange bastards’?

Am I correct?[/quote]

Chocolate(mouse)orange

That’s about the 50th time you’ve pulled out that pal.

You’re from within the pale, mate. What the fuck have your lot ever done? We culchies had to come up and start a revolution and all your mob did was spit on us- particulalrly your women folk, who no doubt enjoyed the benefits of taking a nightly rogering from British soldiers…[/quote]
A tradition carried on by the Fingalese slags in Temple Bar getting roasted by stag groups from Nottingham and Leeds and the like every Saturday night.

Just reading the reports there relating to the security precautions (or lack there of) taken by the RUC Officers. Seems they were naive in the extreme in the manner in which they went about their meetings in Dundalk.

I believe the provo word of choice is “laissez-faire” …