The Sport of Kings & Equine Matters 🐐

[SIZE=6]Hughes satisfied with Conor run[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Dessie Hughes is expecting an improved display from Our Conor in the BHP Insurance Irish Champion Hurdle after being encouraged by his comeback run at Leopardstown on Sunday[/SIZE]

Last season’s brilliant Triumph Hurdle winner was third behind Hurricane Fly and Jezki in the Ryanair Hurdle on his return from injury and is set to head back to the Dublin track on January 26, when he could renew rivalries with his old adversaries.

“He’s fine. I was happy enough he got so close. He jumped the last upsides,” said Hughes.

"He didn’t have the finest preparation in the world after he got hurt at Naas and was laid up for three weeks to a month.

"You could call it his first run - Naas was a waste of time - so it was a gutsy performance.

“He’ll come on for that. He came on a lot from Leopardstown (Spring Juvenile Hurdle success in February) to Cheltenham last year. It’s the Irish Champion next time and he’ll be ready for it.”

Pat Fahy said he was happy enough with Morning Assemblys run and that he’ll come on for it. Cheltenham the plan and he might get one more run into him before that. Mentioned Carlingford Loughs extra seasons chasing as being important and the main difference.

That’s it, CL is a novice in name only. Just as JK said that connections learned more about CL after his defeat to DC so will MA’s connections.

That’s good to know. I was afraid when he ran 5th out of 7 that he would have been a bit upset.

:smiley:

He actually ran very well i thought considering the punters seemingly had no interest, he went off @ 25’s in PP’s.

Is it a horse worth watching out for iyo FP?

[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 879844, member: 276”][SIZE=6]Monsignor dies aged 19[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Dual Cheltenham Festival winner Monsignor - latterly an equine ambassador for ex-racehorse charity Homing Ex-Racehorses Organisation Scheme (HEROS) - has died aged 19. [/SIZE]

The chestnut gelding was put down on Friday after injuring his left fore in the field at home at North Farm Stud in Oxfordshire. Earlier in the year he’d damaged the tendon in the same leg and HEROS decided that the injury was too severe to put him through any more treatment and box rest.

Monsignor won eight of his 10 career starts with victories including a defeat of Best Mate in the Grade One Tolworth Hurdle as well as the 1999 Champion Bumper and the Royal and Sun Alliance Novice Hurdle, which he took in record time, at the following year’s Cheltenham Festival.

Comebacks were often mooted but he never returned to the track after that victory and was retired due to a tendon injury and was gifted to HEROS by owner Malcolm Denmark in 2006.

In his retirement he was an equine ambassador for the charity - going out to racecourses in “Meet the Racehorse” sessions and parading at Lambourn and Epsom open days.

Last year he was asked to carry the Olympic Torch and Frankie Dettori around the parade ring at Ascot.

“I have known him for what seems like forever and he will leave a huge gap in our lives,” Grace Muir of HEROS told www.horseandhound.co.uk.

“He was a great character, a kind and gentle giant who nevertheless had a great zest for life. A huge thank you to Monsignor for all he has done for HEROS and we will always treasure the times we had with him”.[/quote]
That’s a smashing pisstake of an article. Maybe a bit over egged with the last paragraph but no doubt some will have assumed that was a genuine article on a horse’s charity work, personality and friendships.

Rocko easily caught out there on the double bluff. What a mugging off. Superb

[quote=“carryharry, post: 879874, member: 1517”]He actually ran very well i thought considering the punters seemingly had no interest, he went off @ 25’s in PP’s.

Is it a horse worth watching out for iyo FP?[/quote]
It was as bad a race as you can get at that level. He showed he retains some ability. He simply blew up after the last. There is a race in him for sure.

Flicka Williams at 17-2 is worth a bet in 2.10 at Uttoxeter tomorrow. Ran in a grade 2 last time out behind Kings Palace. Made a bad mistake mid race. Is better than 130.

Just looking back at some of those leop races, Minsk is one to pencil in for that novice handicap chase at che. Needs to jump a little better but certainly got the engine and came up the hill there last year

it actually is,
i was afraid to post that in case i would offend the sensitive souls on here, the headline and opening piece about a 19 year old monsignor and former “equine” ambassador dying is brilliant stuff, clearly the lads who put that together were half jarred and in a banterous mood, its lost on the freaks here tho

“Last year he was asked to carry the Olympic Torch” :D:pint::clap:
“I have known him for what seems like forever and he will leave a huge gap in our lives,”
"He was a great character, a kind and gentle giant who nevertheless had a great zest for life. A huge thank you to Monsignor for all he has done for HEROS and we will always treasure the times we had with him". WTF :eek::pint::clap:…are we still talking about a horse?

New Year’s Eve super lucky 15
Boston Bob (pun)
The chiseler (pun)
Luke’s benefit (pun)
Cheltenian (utox)

I see grand vision returns for the tizzards tomorrow in che…last seen in 2012 Albert Bartlett taking a close 3rd behind Brindini breeze

a small ew interest in Glibin & Cheap As Chips for the handicaps today. Glibin back in hurdles on an ok rating and Cheap a Chips 1st time out in handicap chase off low weight and 7lb claimed

winner of champion bumper may well be seen at warwick today

o_O

[quote=“Kid Chocolate, post: 880085, member: 553”]New Year’s Eve super lucky 15
Boston Bob (pun)
The chiseler (pun)
Luke’s benefit (pun)
Cheltenian (utox)[/quote]

Best of luck now with the chiseler

That Rogue Angel was a fair price at 7/1 in the opener.

First time blinkers made all the difference.