The Sport of Kings & Equine Matters 🐐

Thanks mate. Twinlight will win the Queen Mother if Sprinter Sacre doesn’t run. Very astute observation on your part.

That’s what I think, but they normally don’t take that softly softly approach sob you’d have to assume that they are targeting a big hurdle prize , as you say a che target probably doesn’t exist which makes it really puzzling as to why he was out so early ?

There’s a blast from the past.

Mick The Man goes in a handicap hurdle in Navan. A serious horse to get himself beat.

Saphir Du Rheu is a horse of huge potential. Has improved significantly for step up in trip. Looks an RSA horse for next year.

Carberry took a heavy fall in first at Navan. Aklan wins easy.

Lads, been away for past week and only seeing now that STD has got the ride on Big Bucks.

Any reason given for Jacob not getting it ?

[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 886073, member: 276”]Saphir Du Rheu is a horse of huge potential. Has improved significantly for step up in trip. Looks an RSA horse for next year.
[/quote]
What mark did he run off yesterday FP ?

145 but Harry Derham claimed 5. The second is rated 132 and he beat him an eased down 6 lengths. I think he will go up to 150.

[quote=“thedancingbaby, post: 886095, member: 48”]Lads, been away for past week and only seeing now that STD has got the ride on Big Bucks.

Any reason given for Jacob not getting it ?[/quote]
More or less that STD is better and that Jacob will get to ride Sulibrious or Celestial Halo. Jacobs is a decent jockey but he has found himself as Nicholl’s No. 1 by default more than anything else. I would not be surprised to see STD annouced as number one beginning next year.

Unlucky @Kid Chocolate, he ran a blinder for ye. Jumping cost him.

Just seen Flaxen didn’t run. Presume UDS was visually impressive again and won as a 1/12 shot should? How hard did he pull in the early stages?

It is near on impossible to tell as they just let him go the gallop he wants. To my mind, soft ground is important to him. In fairness, he can sustain a fair gallop. I wonder does he lack an extra gear beyond that.

UDS should stop showing his heels to donkeys and go grade1. But the fly will get a clear run at the next two big ones first. He will get a clear run at it from November.

In other news, is mad moose the first horse banned for being a arsehole?

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 886027, member: 1786”]There’s a blast from the past.

Mick The Man goes in a handicap hurdle in Navan. A serious horse to get himself beat.[/quote]
:clap: Nice…put 15 e/w on him @33’s :pint:

Powerstation won a P2P in Kilfeacle today at the ripe old age of 14 :clap:

Wonder would he qualify for the Foxhunters?!

[SIZE=6]Nicholls: Jacob saw Big Buck’s ride as no-win[/SIZE]
[B]
By Tom Kerr 4:55PM 12 JAN 2014
DARYL JACOB did not get the ride on Big Buck’s because he appeared to view the prospect of riding the four-time World Hurdle winner as a “no-win situation”, Paul Nicholls said on Sunday.

Nicholls was explaining the decision to hand the ride on the star hurdler, who is set to return from injury later this month, to Sam Twiston-Davies instead of the stable’s main jockey, Jacob.

“We have obviously been discussing Big Buck’s’ comeback for a few weeks at Ditcheat and it became clear to me that Daryl had doubts about riding him in the Cleeve, and that immediately put a big doubt in my mind,” said Nicholls.
"It was the lack of him being positive more than anything else.

"So we talked it over at length and Daryl explained how he viewed the ride, almost as if he saw it as something of a poisoned chalice.

"He explained that, in his opinion, Big Buck’s was part of a past generation here at Ditcheat - the last remnant of the Kauto Star and Denman era, if you will - that he has never been part of that, and his focus was on the future.

“It was as if he regarded the ride as being in a no-win situation. If Big Buck’s won, it was all down the horse. If he lost, and that phenomenal unbeaten run with it, it was down to him. That is no way to approach any race.”

He added: “It wouldn’t surprise me if Daryl didn’t feel a sense of relief at the news [he will not ride Big Buck’s].”

Nicholls, writing in his Betfair column, insisted that the decision to give the ride to Twiston-Davies should not be seen as any reflection on Jacob.

“For those who think that this is a big snub for Daryl - and plenty obviously do - then they should read this and think again,” Nicholls said.

"And don’t forget that he isn’t the retained jockey at Ditcheat, he is our main jockey. There is a difference.

“He will never ride all of the horses, and at no point did he think that he would. And nor will anyone in the future.”[/B]

Joke

If this version of events is factually accurate, one could conclude that Big Bucks is not the force of old.

[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 886365, member: 276”]If this version of events is factually accurate, one could conclude that Big Bucks is not the force of old.
[/quote]
I can’t see him coming back as good as he was.

Think Annie Power is a certainty for the World Hurdle if she goes for it

[quote=“thedancingbaby, post: 886380, member: 48”]I can’t see him coming back as good as he was.

Think Annie Power is a certainty for the World Hurdle if she goes for it[/quote]
I agree about Big Bucks. It would have been a huge ask as a 10yo yet alone an 11yo to win the stayers.

All indications (soundbites from Rich Ricci) are that AP will go for Champion if she does go to Cheltenham. I think More of that is special, a younger version of Big Bucks. I would seriously fear AP if she showed up for stayers. The 7 pounds she receives is massive for a mare of her ability.