The Tennis Thread

Murray beats Paire at Queen’s club.

Nadal has pulled out of Wimbledon and the Olympics.

As I predicted on Sunday.

Needs some altitude training up a Kenyan mountain perhaps?

Just getting old sadly. Amazing why the player of his generation who was shown the most mortality when it comes to his body and conditioning would be the one people like to defame baselessly.

There was an Italian poster around here a few years back, @Nembo_Kid. He hadn’t a clue when it came to tennis, or most subjects for that matter. When a then 35 year old Federer sensibly skipped the French Open and clay court season in 2017 to protect his body which had shown such mortality over the previous two years, and to enhance his chances of prolonging his career, your man @Nembo_Kid was on here baselessly defaming Federer, calling him a coward. No doubt if @Nembo_Kid was still posting around here, he’d be on now calling the 35 year old Nadal a coward for skipping the Championship this year.

The Great Man’s decision in 2017 entirely vindicated. He won a record breaking 8th Championship without dropping a set.

1 Like

Berrettini beats Norrie to win Queens. Ugo Humbert beats Rublev to win Halle.

Seedings announced.

1. Djokovic
  2. Medvedev
  3. Tsitsipas
  4. Thiem
  5. Zverev
  6. Rublev
  7. Federer
  8. Berrettini

Can’t see past Djokovic here. If he loses it will be before the final I think. His record in recent finals is phenomenal. Just one defeat in his last 8 GS finals.

Berrettini could be a good outside bet for a final. Been playing extremely well and I think his game is suited to grass. Tstisipas is probably the player most suited to grass in the rest but probably still suffering a hangover.

Would fancy Federer to make a QF but can’t see him beating 3 top 8 players in the last 3 games if that is his path.

Medvedev probably the strongest overall contender outside of Djokovic here I feel.

Djokovic, Tsitsipas and Medvedev to reach the semi’s and then it is a toss up between the rest of them who will get the other place. Hard to know with Federer, if he can avoid having a tough 5 set match along the way he can make the semi’s. Berrettini won’t win it but he has to game to make the semi’s

Thiem has pulled out of Wimbledon now also.

Djokovic’s path looks very routine

R1: Draper
R2: Anderson
R3: Davidovich Fokina
R4: Monfils
QF: Rublev
SF: Tsitsipas

I’ve had a look at Tstisipas draw, it’s tough, he could struggle to make the QF. Mevedev has a tough path to a QF too, guys like Struff, Cilic and Dimitrov in his way to it.

Federer should make a QF, plenty of veterans like him on it.

Hard to see past Djokovic. He has the easiest route to a QF and should win it from there.

Berrettini e/w will be my bet, decent draw, should make a quarter with Zverev - a great opportunity for him.

Couple of tasty matches in the first round. Tsitsipas vs Tiafoe could be a long one.

Djokovic (1) vs Draper (WC)
Tsitsipas (3) vs Tiafoe
Basilashvili (24) vs Murray (WC)
Humbert (21) vs Kyrgios
Federer (7) vs Mannarino
Dimitrov (18) vs Verdasco

Lot of rain promised in London this week. Could play havoc with the schedule as the first week is really the one that needs the good weather due to the number of matches on outdoor courts.

Oooft.

Djokovic a break down in the opening set.

Draper serving at 4-3 up (Djokovic will still win this set)

And Djokovic breaks back.

Actually scratch that. Draper wins the game from 0-40 down.

What a hold by Draper. 0-40 down and comes back to hold and lead 5-3.

1 Like

If Draper holds serve here, this could be the highlight of his career.

Would like to see draper hold on and win the set. The only thing is having to listen to that prick Andrew Castle going on about it.