The TFK Hiking Thread

Are trail runners ok to walk up Mount Brandon or would I need hiking boots?

1 Like

If the weather is ok you’d be grand in a pair of runners, if it’s a bit wet you’d want trail runners if you own them, no need for boots if you’re any way nimble

1 Like

What was the end result here?

She died I think.

1 Like

Perfect. I’ve trail runners - will use those.

1 Like

She was found dead, tragic, she was a pal of a friend of mine through running and was supposed to be lovely, she still sometimes appears in my Strava feed as a suggested friend

That walk she was on is one B of the finest in Ireland IMO, a must for anybody in the area of the Comeraghs (Coomsheengaun)

Jesus, awful.

I was up there yesterday in runners, you’d want a good jacket though, fair windy

1 Like

I presume you are going up from Faha Grotto/Cloghane side? You will get away with runners, it’s usually a relatively dry track.

1 Like

The man is up and down and has five pints drank at this stage.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0823/1242326-sweden-mountain-rescue/

Going to do Glendalough this weekend. For the sunrise (I think it’s forecast to be cloudy).

3 Likes

Some lovely loops up there.

1 Like

Make sure you go clockwise

1 Like

We ended up going anti clockwise. 15km. Got there about 8am so was very quiet. Dry and mild but foggy/misty. It’s something I’ll do more of. Great for the head

3 Likes

@PhattPike @Batigol @Crutches looking at doing Galtymore again in the morning.

Any idea what conditions are like? Assume its very very boggy.

Was going to just stick to the same route as last year, kings yard > Galtybeg > Galtymore > Kings Yard, but would be open to an alternative suggestion

We were up Lake Muskry the other day and it was very, very wet, and that’d be a much drier path than your one.

That said, aside from a bit of boggy mud, should be grand.

I’m going to say soft underfoot. Might be better go up black road then, a path a good share of the way so would be better I would think

1 Like

You will be hard pushed to avoid boggy conditions no matter what way you tackle it.

I find the route from the south side a tad boring. The most enjoyable hike I’ve done in the Galtees was via the Ice Road to Lough Curra and then up the slope at the back of the lake to the ridge at the top. Strenuous enough, have no idea what it would be like at this time of year as I did it in August I think.

1 Like

Bring a pair of wellingtons in a rucksack.Its the only thing to get you through the bog at the foot of Galteemore in this season without getting absolutely destroyed.

1 Like