The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

Heā€™s a quack. Iā€™ve never came across anybody with the deluded levels of self importamce that Kev displays. An idiot with a God complex.

Kevinā€™s biggest problem is that he tends to see everything as a black and white issue.

I canā€™t think of any other posters who do thatā€¦

1 Like

Kevinā€™s problem is that he thinks he thinks other people are responsible for personal failings.

That is justā€¦

I donā€™t knowā€¦

Iā€™m speechless

:grinning:

Thatā€™s idle speculation about management loose talk.

You seem to be crediting the players with everything positive associated with the team and blaming the current management for the negatives.

Even negatives that have been present when the players played under different management set ups.

SOS was good all year - it was a silly and petulant thing which heā€™s solely responsible for.

up to the last 15 minutes vs Dublin he was in awe of Mayo in the chanmpionship

1 Like

Yes management have a responsibility. Gavin and dublin clearly allow this happen by their inaction and by then appealling clear offences.

They are very responsible yes.

Whats your issue with it.

Footballers are human beings.

They are bound to lose the rag at some stage. You canā€™t coach that out of them.

Of couse there is alot of guess work and assumptions going on. But management are responsible for preperation.

When someone like SOS does something out of character the question has to be asked why?

Of course there are weaknesses with other managements etc and they made mistakes in the past. However they dealt with them better.

Last year Keegan got the line, they died on their feet. This year SOS got the line and they just died. Thats telling.

They showed tactical weakness and a lack of flexibility in the 3 big games v.Dublin x2 & Donegal.
I assumed they would fix as they went, but they failed to change anything. That feeds out to the players. Players talk, players have opinions and players see thru guys bluffing.

There were money issues too but from day 1 this management team were making grave errors. Getting rid of large amounts of the backroom team that the players had credited with alot of the success and progress is a sure way to start off on a bad foot.

David Moyesesque gaf

Absolute nonsense.
I have seen the opposite very recently.

You see ye are all making the mistake of thinking you canā€™t or donā€™t train the mind. Mental preperation and visualizing through such incidents is a big part of high end sport. Just like working on you weaker side takes practice, so does preparing yourself mentally. And it has to be practiced every year too. Another area Mayo drew back on this year, to save money.

The difference a good sports pyschologist can make to a player or team that never had it is incredible. But it has to have some level of maintainence even with experienced players.

1 Like

They got 1-1 straight afterwards.

Thatā€™s telling.

Management are not responsible for individual transgressions and acts of stupidity done in the heat of a moment. By definition they cannot be because they are individual acts.

Even the players who want Holmes and Connelly gone would admit that. Iā€™ve no idea what way Seamus Oā€™Shea voted on the management issue but I can guarantee you heā€™d be the first to say he was 100% to blame for his reaction during the incident with Cooper.

What weā€™re actually discussing now is the merits of basic human free will and whether it exists.

You often talk about winners not making excuses. What youā€™re doing here is making excuses left, right and centre for players committing individual offences.

John Mullane didnā€™t appeal his sending off and ban in 2004. Is Justin McCarthy responsible for that sending off given that there was no appeal? If there had been an appeal, would he have been responsible?

1 Like

After the Donegal game you were so impressed with Mayo that you said they would beat Dublin.

Now, apparently, they showed tactical weakness and a lack of flexibility in that game despite coasting to an 8 point win.

He would have been responsible for supporting a wrong act. It would send the wrong message.

The way the dubs have carried on (and Cork in the past too) is a disgrace.

Iā€™m not saying players are not responsible for their actions, however management should empower them to make good decisions and thatā€™s done through various methods of training.

The team reflects the management, end of story.

yip. they firstly gave Dublin a template (of course at the time I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that they would be adjusting in semi) and secondly they failed to change things up for the sake of their own players when the game was done.

You are the only one so far of all the discussion I had that doesnā€™t think Mayo made a balls of AOS and the tactics. Absolutely nobody else holds your view that I have seen or heard.

Their tactics had them beating Dublin by 4 points with 15 mins to go until their players imploded and made a string of inexplicable errors.

Thatā€™s not what you said in a previous post today.

1 Like