The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

I haven’t even mentioned Aidan O’Shea or their tactics, mate. You’re away with the fairies, here.

yes, management have a responsibility to prepare him for whatever may come. They failed, Seasmus O’Se also failed. Some guys have the sense, preparation to not need guidance. However clearly something was amiss with Mayo, they fell into Dublins trap. Its managements fault that happened.

I mentioned him. you should read back, that was/is the main grievance. They even got a chance to change it, which is rare.

They got into a comfort zone and didn’t have a plan B. Madness. What if he got injured?

AOS had very little to do with it. The O’ Connors and midfield dominance were major factors, as was the half back line quietening Dublin.

I’ll go back to what I quoted above.

i) You said Seamus O’Shea’s reaction was totally down to management.

ii) Later you said “I’m not saying players are not responsible for their actions.”

Can you please square these two comments for me? Because they can’t be both right, as they’re contradictory.

The fact was thar Mayo’s game plan was working. They were 4 points up and completely on top and then their players imploded and made stupid, inexplicable errors.

Not much the management can do regards that.

You said I mentioned him, which I didn’t. Now you’re talking about what you said. I really don’t know what you’re on about here.

Management are responsible for preparation - they didn’t do their job, they are completely responsible for that.
Seasmus O’ Se was responsible once on the field and he lacks clearly the ability to prepare himself for the type of shite Dublin were at.

But if the first one is sorted, the 2nd doesn’t happen.

He’s a seasoned inter county footballer. He is well prepared for it, he just happened to lose the plot. People are human, they make mistakes. Mayo just seem to be particularly more brittle in this regard than most.

This is one of the most bizarre discussions I’ve ever been involved in on this forum, and that’s saying something.

I wonder about some people, I really do.

You just don’t get it fella

it might make more sense to you if you started at the start and don’t come in half way thru using anothering one of your pseudo names.

I think you’ll find that I started the discussion on this thread after it had been idle for over a year.

2 Likes

I never knew how much I underestimated my abilities until now.

If we could combine your ability with Kev’s confidence, you could take on the world and win, pal.

1 Like

Dublin weren’t particularly “at” anything untoward in the replay. If you recall it was a very fast paced, open first half with lots of fine point taking and no off the ball niggle. O’Shea delivered a handpass from a stationary position early in the second half and received a late but tame dunt in the back from Cooper’s shoulder. It wasn’t as if it was the culmination of a series of provocative or intimidating attacks by Dublin players. It was just a very dumb reaction by O’Shea that he should take personal responsibility for. If you’re attributing the entire blame for O’Shea’s brain freeze to management then equally management should take all the credit for O’Shea’s fine season up to that point. I don’t think @caoimhaoin 's making any sense here.

3 Likes

He called every big gga game wrong in the summer yet still thinks he knows hga

Tonight Friday 2nd October at 7.00p.m. at Elverys MacHale Park a meeting took place of the Mayo GAA County Board Executive. The members of the executive were briefed on the meeting which took place on Thursday evening 1st October between the Mayo Senior Footballers and officers of the County Board. The Mayo Senior Football Team Joint-Managers, Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes, then joined the meeting where they gave a detailed review of the season just gone. They then issued the following statement:

“It is with heavy hearts that we wish to announce that we (Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes) are stepping down from our role as joint managers of the Mayo Senior Football Team with immediate effect. We took on the job on a three-year basis and had been looking forward to building on what had been achieved this year. We are passionate about Mayo Football and it is deeply disappointing not to complete our project. By resigning we wish to remove any obstacle that the players might perceive as preventing them from winning the All-Ireland. We would like to thank the back-room team for their superb effort and commitment. We wish to thank the Mayo County Board for their support and for all the funding and resources they provided for the team. We would like to thank the players for all their efforts during 2015. We would also like to thank the people of Mayo for the huge support and messages of goodwill throughout the year and in the last week. Mhaigh Éo AbĂș.”

The statement was greeted with a round of applause and standing ovation from the members of the executive before the joint managers departed the meeting.

Members of the Executive then spoke where the joint Managers of Noel Connelly & Pat Holmes along with their backroom team were sincerely thanked and praised for their dedication, commitment and hard work over the last year where it was also noted the very difficult last few days that they experienced along with their families. Noel & Pat are both decorated footballers and managers and owe nothing to Mayo Football and both along with their families are wished all the very best in the future whatever that may hold.

There will be no further comment from the executive or management until the next statement is issued from the Mayo County Board.

Well done Holmes and Connelly, correct decision. Their position, rightly or wrongly was untenable and they had little choice it to remove themselves from the equation. Nice little dig in there about the obstacle between the players and the All Ireland. Nothing less can do now for these players.

Any manager worth his salt would love to get his hands on them now.

1 Like