The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

How are they shite? It’s not as if performance has dramatically declined since they took over. At the least it maintained itself. This just smacks of delusion and scapegoating from a set of players.

Ffs.they were given a ready made self driven team.
I would have won that with them. Comfortably.

2 Likes

They made a fucling balls of AOS and never adjusted from the replay. It was managment 1.01 stuff.

Perfect example of how talented players can make management seem capable. They got rid of a vital coach cos they thought they knew better. That shows they haven’t a clue.

They were 4 points up on and completely on top with 15 minutes to go. Clearly the tactics and game plan were working until the players imploded. Nothing the management could do about the individual mistakes made.

Not on the day. But you can prepare them better for it. A failing of horan too was dealing with Mayos game management. It can be improved.

Ine major problem have is a couple of selfish forwards, and not in a good way.

Not having Seasmus O’Se’s head right was a massive issue. They were reacting to dublins niggling which is exactly what the dubs wanted. You can prepare for that.

Would you fuck off. You are a quack - plain and simple. You cannot micro-manage ever small detail down to the nth degree. If Seamus O’Shea did something as stupid as that then that’s a failing on his part.

It’s time these Mayo players looked inward and accepted the blame lies with them. The scapegoating of the management team is disgraceful. It says a lot about the mentality there.

The truth of this is somewhere in the middle. Yes, the players play the game, but they seemed ill prepared for the predictable Dublin niggle, especially in the replay. It’s irrelevant in any case. The management have lost the bulk of the squad and should resign. Right or wrong, it is what it is.
Funnily enough, I think Tyrone would have stood the best chance of taking Dublin in that final. Philly and co would be a lot better behaved against Tyrone as they’d be warier of the consequence of their constant Off the ball niggle against another team with a psychopathic bent.

3 Likes

Mayo lost because they imploded, it was as simple as that. I was at the game and with 15 minutes to go it looked like Dublin had ran out of ideas. Mayo had the chance to jump on their necks at that stage but didn’t. The management team can’t go out and do it for them then. If they kept their levels up in that last 15 minutes then they would have won the game.

1 Like

It looked to me like it started with panic on their own kickouts tbh, and the jitters set in from there. It doesn’t really matter as far as current management goes.
To be honest all the same, I don’t think a Micky Harte team would have panicked like that. I think a team takes some of its character from the manager.

1 Like

Mayo weren’t as fit as recent years.

Is that the players fault?

When you spend 21 years involved in coaching/training/management come back to me.
Its always down to management. You have to carry the load. You always have to ask:
Why are my team not doing what i wanted?
Am i asking them either collectively or individually to do things they are incaoable of?
Those answers are down to you. You cannot put square pegs in round holes. And you have to have humility. If its not working, do something else.
Ego’s & stubborness exist with us all, but need to be managed carefully.

Once they cross the line its all over. But up to then its all about the preperation. Which management controls.

I didn’t see that with mayo management.

How do you know they weren’t as fit as previous years? There certainly didn’t seem to be any issue with their fitness, just their mindset.

They were playing far more in fits and starts. They were not moving as well and vitally they had more injuries.

They didn’t really, Kev. They had no more injuries than you would have expected at that time of the year.

Players making basic mistakes they wouldn’t normally make is not down to management. Managers don’t go onto the pitch and play the game for them. You are like a janitor trying to claim importance for high level boardroom decisions.

Reacting like SOS dod is totally down to management. He hadn’t done that before in my memory.
He was not focused on the right things. Of course it his partially his responsibility however it ultimately falls on management to identify that. If course they probably encouraged mayo to “not take any shit” or some loose talk like that.

The biggest problem though was tactically. It was a mess.

They didn’t. You made the assertion, so it’s up to you to name those injuries.

They did.

They didn’t.

Times a thousand. Jinx. No comebacks.

1 Like

No its totally down to Seamie O’Shea, you utter spastic.

Was what Philly McMahon and Jonny Cooper did in the drawn semi-final totally down to Jim Gavin?

How about the Davy Byrne incident?

Or the biting incidents?

Or anything involving Diarmuid Connolly?