The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

Aido scored a point. Ramming it down the throats of the haters.

5 Likes

Tommy Conroy has kicked some lovely scores there today. Heā€™s a own man team for them.

1 Like

He looks tidy enough, great burst of pace to him.

Hope they give that man everlasting life, just to be sure

1 Like
2 Likes

Ruh oh

ā€œB Rookieā€? Does that mean that he isnā€™t even that good?

I think it means he will be home with his tea in a mug before Christmas

5 Likes

Ah Iā€™d say heā€™s off for a holiday tbh

Has there been a case of a player making it in the AFL who didnā€™t go straight out from minor?

Very few anyway. Colin Oā€™Riordan must be over there about 5 years and heā€™s 26 and still hasnā€™t made any kind of decent breakthrough

1 Like

Yeah all the ones I can think of off the top of my head that went out there and became regulars were 18/19 when they left.

Tuohy
Clarke
McKenna
Oā€™Connor
Hanley

You couldnā€™t really blame Mullin for the opportunity to go out there as a pro athlete, enjoy the lifestyle amd weayjer, get a decent salary and come back in a year or two. Heā€™s only 21 I think so will have plenty of football to return home to when itā€™s done.

Big loss for Mayo however.

1 Like

From the playerā€™s point of view it probably makes more sense to go out when youā€™re finished college. The lads who went over at 18 will eventually have to do something else with maybe no qualifications

2 Likes

Ah most of them have some big scholarship from a Sigerson heavy hitter to come back to if they want and a few quid in the bank.

If you actually want to succeed over there then I think you need to be heading over at 18/19.

Mayo absolutely cannot catch a break.

1 Like

Why?

Sure pretty much all the big counties have lost a player to the AFL in recent years.

McKenna is just back for Tyrone
Dublin have Madden over there
Kerry have Oā€™Connor and just got Okunbur back

If youā€™re a promising young player with the right physical attributes, the AFL will make a move at some point.

1 Like

Covid meant almost all of their team could stay in Mayo and have proper training sessions - this was one of their major gripes over the years and they still couldnā€™t fucking do it.

1 Like

any that go over at 18 are sometimes offered university places there too. I recall one player who went over stayed on when his football club let him go to finish out college there. Just cant remember who.

Category B Rookies are designated spots on AFL rosters for international players. They have set numbers for their squad and set numbers for how many rookies they can have. The B category designation is I think 3 players, so rather than take up a place on their main rookie number, this designation was devised to assist.

I donā€™t disagree. I just struggle to think of examples of good luck or good fortune for Mayo. They finally beat Dublin a have one of their worst flops in a final in over a decade. Maybe they think ok we beat Dublin and the mountain doesnā€™t look so high this year and their one of their marquee players, a young guy you want to build the defence around, decides to leave.

1 Like

Thatā€™s nothing to do with catching a break though ā€¦ they had control over their performance but didnā€™t perform .

2 Likes