The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

The penalty against Fermanagh where they were heading out and AOS dived.
Scraped past Cork, Derry and Armagh in qualifiers.
Had Tyrone butcher a series of chances against them in 2016 in an AI QF and scraped through by a point.
McCaffrey doing his ACL early on in an AI final
Dublin effectively playing with 13 men at the end of an All Ireland final with Oā€™Gara tearing his hamstring, Oā€™Carroll getting a blow to the head and Dublin having used all their subs.

Bound to have been a few others as well as thatā€™s just off the top of my head.

1 Like

Aidan Oā€™Shea not being out for this season was a bad break for them in fairness

5 Likes

I think you overplay that one a bit. They were 1 point behind with about 10 minutes to play when they won that penalty, they went on to win the game handy enough after it.
Mullin is probably the most high profile player to leave for the AFL, having won Young Footballer of the Year last year. Disappointing for next years championship to lose a player like that but best of luck to him, he seems to have the athleticism and mentality to make a success of it.

1 Like

Tommy Walsh is aghast.

2 Likes

Maybe so but it was a game changing incident when Mayo were in trouble. Oā€™Shea should have got the line if the referee did his job, instead Mayo got a goal.

Dermot McNicholl was a very established inter-county footballer when he left for St. Kilda.

All-Star award winner in 1984. But curiously not 1987 when he was Derryā€™s star player when they won Ulster. He left after that season.

Derry were robbed that day. Point at the end went against them with no hawkeye

1 Like

Confirmed.

That looks above average quality for that level.

Not sure if true but heard from a source in Mayo that Mullin is apparently staying now. Seems a strange episode after Geelong released a video on their official channels of Mullin saying how much he was looking forward to heading over and playing for them. First case of pre-emptive home sickness?

More likely hes got a well paying job somewhere

Possibly but a well paying job still isnā€™t life as a professional athlete. Youā€™d imagine a ball of money has been found from somewhere though.

#FinancialDoping

2 Likes

Some lads just like the misery, they have that sort of kink in them

1 Like

AOS stripped of the Mayo captaincy I see.

3 Likes

Heā€™s giving the youth a chance.

1 Like

TBF Coen seems like good captain material.

Didnā€™t think much of him as a footballer but has improved immensely and seems to just get on with his football rather than being a media whore.

1 Like

Looking forward to the media mentioning Coen previously being a winning All Ireland Minor, Under 21 and Sigerson Captain.

2 Likes

Iā€™d agree with all of that. Around 2017 I thought he was very passive and didnā€™t make much of an impact when coming on in games but heā€™s improved immensely in recent years. Shades of a Jordan Henderson type figure who should be a good captain.