The waxing lyrical about the issues with the Mayo Footballing Psyche Thread

1 Like

Clare might have Shane for another few years so hopefully?

Come here the second genius ever to come out of a mudhut, one for the ocean the other for the stars. A Limerick probably gave them fire and they have come a long way.

Saying that its hard to see him walk away now particularly the form he is in. Hes clares most important player ahead of Kelly at the moment

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1805328658724270569?t=irBskSaynWHPQbPjC3JITw&s=19

5 Likes

1 Like

Aidan O’Shea

“You are already plotting and planning about things you want to do,” he told the Irish Examiner Football podcast.

“It is 200 odd days until Mayo play again.

“It is a lifetime in Gaelic football.

“It is very unusual compared to old system.

“I think this is a problem across the board in terms of development of players.

“We would have gone deep into championships and eight to ten weeks later we are back together collectively.

“Whatever bad habits or regressions you pick up, stuff you get away with at club level, it wouldn’t be significant.

“But we are not back together until December.

“Five months of playing club football where you will always have bad habits that will creep in.

“It is a long time away. It should be utilised by players to improve but it is a long time away from the environment.

“You have to try and utilise it as best you can.

“So, we lost last weekend but if you are not turning your mind to being a better footballer or team in 2025 pretty promptly, you will be behind the pack.

"There are loads of little things running around in my head.

"Last week was a tough week.

"In terms of my mentality, I’m back into training five or six days a week.

"I think most inter-county players are that way.”

“My life is set up to play football for Mayo,” he added.

4 Likes

Would a professional intercounty GAA subsidised the way Racing/Greyhounds are be such a bad thing?

It wound certainly benefit a bettter cohort of the population than greyhound dogging or horse murdering

It would, there’s an amount of Irish young fellas that would absolutely dream of doing it and they’d have to be very clever the way they go about it. Powerful stuff from Aido there, he is basically saying the genie is out of the bottle, we just aren’t being paid.

That is somewhat selectively misquoted. As in he said those things but not in that order, and it paints a different picture the way it’s printed

My apologies, I didn’t realise it as in print, I took it from social media. Throw up the correct article

They’re his quotes from the Examiner pod alright, but that wasn’t they way he said it iirc

Ah I see.

Professional GAA is not a product that would be attractive to the public. Professional sport depends entirely on money and thus depends entirely on public interest. The entire appeal of GAA is based on playing for where you come from. If you professionalise that, players will no longer play for where they come from because it will be a job, and thus restricting transfers will violate EU law, and thus the public will have no interest.

3 Likes

God could you imagine Shane Barrett signing for Limerick, twould be like Figo going from Barca.

Things like this have been imagined in the past.

Start date now adjourned to 2029.

The Western Sheepsteelers

The North Ulster Kneecappers

1 Like

Aido summing up well there why such a gap developed between the haves and have-nots. Weaker counties finished for the year in June, stronger counties stay going until late September, or October as in 2016. Tailteann and split season have taken away some of that advantage and we are now seeing an equalising of standards emerge.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Last year’s Tanita Tikaram Cup winners Meath demonstrated that this year with their exceedingly competitive performances in the Leinster championship and round robin.