The who is going in to work versus who is (Not)WFH/taking AL tomorrow thread?

I love the smell of a pipe tbf

1 Like

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy how long is this journey via active travel?

1 Like

I love a camera off meeting, id be vaping away when wfh, mid sentence. Dunno how i havent been caught roaring at traffic, yet, when in a meeting using the Bluetooth in the car

2 Likes

The mandate going forward in our place from today was camera ON for all calls; the dictat came from the highest echelons apparently. The company doctor has been inundated with mental health consultations with staff and the thought process is that having the camera on will allow for a more convivial setting for meetings.

So camera on cures anxiety guys!!

2 Likes

I get more anxiety with it on. No such mandate for us, saving bandwidth is our excuse, in office does have some network issues. A lot of my team are also wfh in rural areas in other countries. We all have to perform smootly i guess

In one of my first jobs in 1996 you could smoke at the desk if you were there past the official clock off time of 5:30 pm ashtray there and all, halcyon days

2 Likes

We had that too. In a bank, opening hours were 10am-4pm. Smoking allowed till 09:59 and the ashtrays brought out again when the last customer was gone. Smoke away in the coffee dock. Mental when you think of it now.

2 Likes

22 minutes - I regularly take my eBike, pal.

In any case I drove my EV this time.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy will vouch for my eco credentials.

4 Likes

Confirmed

Brilliant stuff @briantinnion i was getting worried when read the post. No excuses to use a cage for that short of a commute.

1 Like

I’m roughly two fifths of the way through my 650 hours of annual leave I have to take. April is the deadline. Most has been continually carried over for the last three years since Covid started. I’ve forgotten what it feels like to be at work.

I’ve the bones of a year’s allowance left. I wouldn’t be using it up this time of year unless I was gone abroad at the same time

A year is even more than I have! Guessing you were let carry it over like me.
Personally I’ve no problem using it up at this time. I don’t have a significant other or kids, so it’s all the same to me.

Same boat but she’s gone back as a mature student so severely limits the city-break options.

I’m supportive in spite of the pain in my hole :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

I used to smoke like a chimney in a small attic office in Dublin. Society’s attitude to smoking at the time was such that I never so much as gave a thought to the people sharing the room with me. We moved to a new build shortly after and you couldn’t smoke at your desk any more. You could only smoke in the smoking room.

When I was in school there was a smoking room for the sixth years.

13 Likes

Same. 34 days to take before April. I was hoping to take off the month of January but don’t think that’s a runner and not many windows where I can take a big chunk of leave before April. Not sure how many I can carry either, probably ten.

You can carry 12. You have to take statutory minimum on a use it or lose it basis under the new circular. Youll need manager sign off to carry remainder.

A thought is if youre travelling to tag a few days on to the end of it, each time you go

1 Like

Cheers art, I was going to look into the rules, I know it’s ten in year three. I’ll probably end up making a arrangement to take a chunk in April or something like that. There’s a trip in December I’d definitely tack two weeks onto if I could but don’t know if I’ll get the nod for it.

I smoked in an office when I started off. And that’s not the canteen, the actual office. It wasn’t every day or anything but every Friday after lunch it was the thing to pull out the ashtrays and go mad. Bizarre really but their tradition.

The canteen was fair game for a few more years before we got shoved into the smoking room and then out to the yard. The smoking room used to be grim.