The who is going in to work versus who is (Not)WFH/taking AL tomorrow thread?

The 4 days WFH and 1 day leave per week is a reasonably clever approach but the big flaw is how long it may last.

Staff who had booked 5/10 annual holidays will start to come into focus in May. Two weeks hols to sit at home when you are at home anyway. At least it will keep HR busy

yeah
at least one other corporation i know is already " encouraging folk to have the conversation regarding when to take vacation…"

I’ve also heard of one company reducing salary by cutting working days from five to four. The Man is looking to preserve cash.

I know one of the big 4 has told their staff they have to have half their leave for the year used by the end of July.
It’s fair enough really, I would say, if they are keeping you on full pay.

I haven’t a day taken this year, and no mention of it yet either.

@caoimhaoin never had any time for The Man
The Man is boss now tho

I assume that the poor teachers will be able to push the ‘course days’ back to next year,

1 Like

Telling everyone to take holidays improves the balance sheet more than anything else. Looks more productive internally, stops people cancelling leave days they would have in March/May/June too.

Could help them if they need to stretch banking facilities. I’ve heard of mandating taking a couple of days over the Easter/May bank holiday period just to keep things tidy.

1 Like

That’s something I didn’t really understand about workers being laid off straight away at the start of this. Surely a lot of them could have just been given holidays until they saw what way it panned out? (obviously it’s gone on far longer than everyone’s holiday entitlement now)

If they don’t have the cash, there’s not a lot of managing of the situation you can do.

It goes on three year cycles in the civil service, in year three you can only carry over a very limited amount. Stopped the old practice of people racking up months of leave. Anyway they seem to have dispensed with that this year and carried peoples leave over. I will have an absolute ball of leave to take this year.

1 Like

People should take an odd day off anyway. There are some people who struggle to switch off the laptop when WFH.

My US colleagues were given unlimited holidays around 18 months ago. Fair usage applies obviously. I believe it was brought in as holidays rolled over year on year and people had accumulated a huge amount of days/holiday pay built up over the years.

There’s other who struggle to stay awake at the laptop on WFH :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Making decisions can be fierce tiring sometimes.

You’re lucky you don’t have to worry about that I suppose.

When you’re as senior as me you can do what you like.

2 Likes

In Germany they have a thing called Kurz arbeit. its a long standing labour law agreed by different social partners. Instead of being made redundant immediately , you get reduced hours and pay capped at 66% and it is excactly for scenarios like the above. Not sure how long it lasts for. Maybe 6 months or so.

1 Like

Studies on unlimited holidays show people actually take less leave than they did before, out of guilt or something. It wouldn’t work on me anyway I’d feel zero guilt. But just in case anyone thinks it’s a savage perk or anything

2 Likes

They’d surely take more in the US, isn’t the legan minimum only about 10 or something pathetic like that?

Another example of the deadwood getting a free pass in the wasteful and inefficient private sector, no wonder ye eejits brought the economy to its knees.

2 Likes