The who is going in to work versus who is (Not)WFH/taking AL tomorrow thread?

It’s The Frame so only one wire coming down. I have it reasonably well hidden in tubing. Next project will be to sink it behind the wall.

1 Like

Nice. They look well. Is it a good telly

Grand. But only worth the premium if you’re gonna sink the wires behind the wall.

Better off installing yourself too. I had the lads from Harvey Norman do mine and it was poor enough.

1 Like

Was chatting with someone at the weekend who I hadn’t seen in a while. He works for a large back office of a US bank in the South East (doesn’t take much figuring out).

He’s WFH for the guts of a month now but has to use his own laptop as they didn’t give any equipment to any staff and a load of them work off desktops. Surely that can’t be allowed and is a breach of all sorts of basic workers rights? He’s had to allow them install all sorts of security stuff on his laptop too which makes it even worse.

They openly asked folks to ‘beg, borrow and steal’ to get equipment. I’d expect this if maybe it was some 2 bit operation or a startup that hasn’t starting making money yet but for a large financial institution it’s surely a bit of a joke. Would this be common nowadays?

Accenture ordered 100,000 laptops just before the lockdown. A lot of UK banks are looking at their offshore models now.

I heard Dell stopped taking orders, they were swamped

State bodies are doing the same. Was next to impossible to get laptops once the lockdown was mandated.

We’d 250 before lockdown and we’ve added another 300. Add in Citrix access and the department is at around 80% capability WFH.

some work by IT :clap:

2 Likes

I haven’t used a desktop computer since 2005 in work. I’m clearly very out of touch so :joy:

Once you set up the second screen at home then it’s oxo.

Commercial real estate for offices is dead.

Are any of yere employers forcing ye to take holidays during the summer?

This is my second week back in the office after being working from home for 1 week and was off for a 2 week shutdown prior to that.

It’s looking like we will have another 2 week shutdown during the summer except this time it’ll be taken out of our annual leave.

No need for big CBD offices any more. Just need a few nice meeting rooms.

2 Likes

It’s coming

No, but only because they haven’t thought of it yet I’d say :joy:.

Hopefully they don’t think of it for another few weeks and I can take them in the middle of the summer when I might be able to go somewhere.

I haven’t a day taken yet this year

The missus is in the same boat ya.

That is not good mate, are you there long?

Loads of places are doing it. Will be standard enough I’d say. If we all get back in August and everyone has a month to take it’ll be a nightmare for businesses and they trying to get themselves back together

1 Like

True enough, being forced into a two week annual leave during a lockdown is worrying though.

We’ve lads talking a day here and there at the moment at least. I’m in the same boat as yourself haven’t taken a day yet though either.

1 Like

Ya not ideal but sure look it, if you still have a job a bit of compromise is in order

1 Like

No I work for a large multi national in financial services and they couldn’t have been more accommodating in terms of people being properly set up in terms of laptops, second screens. desks, office chairs for those with back problems etc.

1 Like