The who is going in to work versus who is (Not)WFH/taking AL tomorrow thread?

Work from home every second day for this week, possibly full work from home as time goes on.

WFH, probably until September

That’s the problem. I don’t want to think about it

Iv to.mind two tomorrow and full day of it in the diary. Key is to go at it in 30 min bursts while they are watching a show. Concentration lapses on their part then

1 Like

Fair play for being honest and I can’t even begin to imagine what you’re going through. I could throw out any amount of anecdotes about people in similar circumstances but that would be a cuntish thing to do. You’d be surprised that your daughter’s or wife might feel the exact same way you do. Get time with 1 of them for just a few hours on Tuesday if you can. Far easier to tackle women 1:1 than in groups as I’m sure you well know.

And mind yourself for fuck sake!

6 Likes

Regular WFH’r and generally and gratefully set my own schedule regards national/international travel as required.

Game changer however being now I have 3 new team members (Children) that have no awareness of Skype/con calls/Microsoft Teams !

I dont think there will be many tossing and turning in their beds tonight worrying about the big 6

2 Likes
3 Likes

This might work @Bandage

2 Likes

2 of us working from home for foreseeable…

3 kids to manage too so no idea how it’s going to pan out. Grandparents out of the equiation due to distancing.

There will have to be some form of expectation set that it’s just a matter of keeping the lights on. I support in house payroll software for a public sector body. A few change requests around social welfare payments for C19 but apart from that I am refusing any other changes for now.

3 Likes

You have a responsibility towards your family to think about it, then take whatever course you think is best for ye. Take care anyway pal.

1 Like

Welfare office still requiring people to make appointments for PSC card and then to make their claim. Surely there’ll be thousands needing to sign on soon. It’s going to need a major rethink.

1 Like

This is more a change to sick leave codes.
C19 will be special sick leave so it needs a new ‘Leave code’ as it deducts 305 from the salary in the knowledge that the employer will claim the 305.

1 Like

Construction will probably be one of the last industries to react to this. All our sites are still powering ahead. Half of our current clients have inquired about a “Coronavirus Management Plan” and we’ve had to throw one together quite hastily. Increased hand sanitisers, informative signage and CV related toolbox talks first thing Monday morning are about the height of it. 100% turnout in head office this morning. Business as usual. You’d miss the usual stale sports related banter on a Monday morning, mind.

In practical terms, a number of subbies particularly joinery & anything facade related have had their supply chain in China switched off. So far clients have been reasonable in granting time (without cost) extensions in the absence of a contractual qualifying cause of delay. We’ll get the time/avoid LDs but any prelims blowout will be on us. (We’ll try and claw some back by screwing you know who CC @flattythehurdler )

WFH but I might head in for an hour to see how many are physically in the office.

WFH for the foreseeable. No let up though and a good chance I’ll be working Paddy’s Day too. Looks like some shit hit the fan over the weekend that I’ve been copied into that I don’t understand nor have a notion about and I’ll be asked to make a call on the next steps tomorrow.

I’ll throw out some business jargon I learned on here in an assertive way and quickly learn that noone else has a fucking clue either as there’ll be heads nodding all around the place even though I haven’t actually said anything remotely useful. This will likely be a daily occurrence for the next 2 weeks.

I’ve learned recently that if you throw ‘polarity’ into the sentence everyone instantly nods. I haven’t a fucking clue what it even means but the knock on impact of Covid-19 has involved a hell of a lot of polarity.

8 Likes

Would certainly concur with that assertion in the short to medium term and its important to be open to a certain vernacular whilst also coinciding with a positive corporate outlook in which we’ll adopt a holistic approach to the challenges ahead.

Me to my 9 year old when asked should we buy a few Easter eggs just in case… she saw right through it but corporate types wont be as sharp.

10 Likes

I’d have thought the same too. Particularly here with smaller outfits, if they stop working, they dont get paid, simple as that really. Plus, it is somewhat easier to limit contact with others on building sites. Some of the larger projects I am on are only in pre construction phase, with one of them due to start on site imminently. However that has an enabling works timeline of about 25 weeks between demo, piling and a bulk dig, so there is no reason really why that cant push on. That should give it a bit of time to get through the worst of this and stay good to the other side.

I think the main uncertainty about it all is the timelines. No one really knows when things will return to “normal” again. 5 weeks to after Easter? Into the summer? Hard to gauge. As your LAD/prelims comments mention, I’d also imagine plenty of companies are re reading their contracts with the legislative enactments clause and force majeure on the extension of time clause. Insurances mention “contamination” in that particular section of the clause. I’d say many will use the containment period as a means to claw back delays and costs.

1 Like

Not a bad time to be getting struck in to a 6 month early works package alright. Half our jobs would be on finishing trades now and plasterboard and painting (Chinese) and tiling (Korean) look high risk trades. I’d expect a suspected case by the end of the week, and we’d have to shut the site down. The whole industry (moreso than others) is reaching a critical point. We will be ok but you’re going to have dozens of subbies going belly up and bringing builders with them.

Force majeure is typically deleted from contracts here or else it’s definitively…eh… defined. It’ll come down to client goodwill and common sense to grant an EOT.

1 Like

we’re driving on full bore here

2 Likes