The who is going in to work versus who is (Not)WFH/taking AL tomorrow thread?

Just finished my last call for the day. What a time to be alive!

I’m not the only one who has noticed a real uptick in your posting quality.

@Thomas_Brady PM’ed me to query your gut health regime and @Horsebox remarked that your sleeping hygiene must have improved

We all smiled when we put two and two together - kids. Back. At. School.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that means you must be homeschooling the kids then?

1 Like

Are you having your head turned by the IT mate?

nope, robert burns who is a really good guy retweeted it

Even pre-covid cities needed to pivot to getting people back living in the core sections if they want retail to survive. This will only accelerate it.

Limerick is small but has very little high quality residential stock in the city centre. That will have to change rapidly if they want city businesses to survive.

agreed

@Copper_pipe I got that new Samsung monitor. TFK is much better on a 24 inch monitor than a 20 inch monitor. Some price for it!

He focuses on co-living. Co-living was a tiny percentage of the new housing stock coming into the city. Hotels were being built because of a huge shortage of hotel rooms in Dublin.

He doesn’t mention non sensical preservation orders there once. Where are you going to stick up apartments in the inner city? Both north side and south side there are wide restrictions on building. It sounds great to say we should convert Georgian offices to homes, but that is incredibly expensive. Apparently there is around 100 houses in the city owned by some preservation society, they fall into rack and ruin because their ambitions are unaffordable.

All of the cities he mentions will have challenges.

I agree with lots of other elements of the piece. For too long AGS have done little to police the inner city. Dublin is a safe city but begging and hassling of people on the streets was out of control. There’s no point in building nice cycle paths if you are going to have teenagers throwing rocks at passers by.

1 Like

Google decide not to rent an office for 2000 workers in Dublin

2 Likes

Yep the site next to the Clayton Hotel in Cardiff Street.

Wow

That area looks great now. Turn it into apartments if possible

1 Like

That’s the sound of the first domino falling.

5 Likes

Google have already committed €300m to Boland’s Quay which is nearing completion and €120m to the Treasury Building. Their strategy of buying premises outright may see them becoming accidental landlords if WFH reduces the need for space

tenor (1)

1 Like

Google normally bring in folks from all the world to work at the Dublin offices.

Will these people now all just stay in whatever country they are from and work from there?

That’s a nightmare from a tax perspective as they’d potentially be creating a taxable presence wherever that worker was located. They’ll still want them in Ireland I suspect.

6 Likes