Things I learned today (Part 2)

Still a good few Protestant farms in the hinterland of Tullamore.
Birr is a bit of a different breed of a town. Some smashing old Georgian houses. I am only vaguely familiar with it. Have been told by a lad who works at a market there that the grey dollar is strong (for Offaly).

1 Like

You could nearly be talking about Inistiogue, that place should be in some place like Somerset or Yorkshire.

1 Like

Seems to be a pattern here.

As an aside, Tullamore’s lovely broad streetscape came about as a result of the world’s first air disaster. Much of the original town was burnt down when a hot air balloon crashed into the wooden buildings

8 Likes

Does Mountmellick still have Ireland’s tallest Christmas tree?
Been in it a few times, 18 months ago being the most recent. I can’t say it’s any worse than your average small Irish town.

Am curious, what are the positive points to it?

The square (or half square as it always appears to me) is a nice throwback to the town’s plantation beginnings. Georgian-esque whiff to it. The Catholic church is also a beautiful building.

1 Like

Yes but the square and all around is dilapidated and close to ruin. Thankfully I’ve never had reason to go into the Church.

I just think they do nothing with it which is a great shame given its beginnings.

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/heritage-towns/towns-and-villages-of-lao/mountmellick/mountmellick-the-manchest/

1 Like

Is the Stradbally Steam Rally still going on?

Tis. Melvin wants the August Bank Holiday Weekend and is moving closer and closer to it to get it but for now, it belongs to the Rally, twee and all as it is.

1 Like

Melvin can go shit in a hat.

1 Like

He can indeed, but to tie back to the original point, he has the planter landlord in his pocket and in time, will get his way.

Isn’t that the reason they are called “jaffa cakes” even though they found in the biscuit section.

1 Like

I think the initial ruling on this was if it goes soft over time it’s a biscuit, if it goes hard it’s a cake. A ruling of genius.
This is obviously a tweak.

6 Likes

Calling @Fran the Biscuit Man

Solomonesque ruling

2 Likes

Rebekah Elmaloglou, formerly of Home and Away and currently of Neighbours, is a cousin of Dame Judi Dench.

RFK is married to Cheryl from Curb Your Enthusiasm

Curb Your Enthusiasm Omg GIF

1 Like

An absolute dinger in her day. Rebekah, I’ve never seen a young Judi.

1 Like

Sophie was it she played?

1 Like